Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Our Microsoft Word 2003 has quit working. I tried the Repair…

Customer Question
Our Microsoft Word 2003 has...
Our Microsoft Word 2003 has quit working . I tried the Repair function and also uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled. Still no luck.
We're using Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 with the update.
We're running Windows 10, 64 bit.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
9/15/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 8 months ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. I understand that the problem is on the laptop that is running Windows 10. You mentioned it is working on the desktop. Is this desktop also running Windows 10?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Running identical system on both machines.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you getting any error when Word fails to run? Or is it just freezing?

When we call it up, the Word screen comes up but locks and even the mouse pointer does not work.
None of the functions will work then and to shut it down we have to use Alt, Control Delete and got to Task Manager.
Should be go to not got to.

Ok. Have you tried to run it as Administrator? Please give it a try using the steps below:

1. If you have a Word shortcut on the desktop screen, right click on it, click Run as Administrator
  2. Or type "Word" on Cortana search box, and in the results, right click on MS Word, click on Run as Administrator.
I tried running it as administrator and tried running in compatibility mode as XP and Vista. It worked for several months with Windows 10, 64 bit.

have you tried running it normally?

assuming by normally you mean the way we normal run it without any changes. That is when it failed to run as it has in the past.
Are you still there?

Ok. Please do these steps:

1. Close MS Word and other Office programs
  2. Open Command Prompt as Administrator. Search cortana for CMD, then right click on the results, click on Run as Administrator
  3. Then type the command: sfc /scannow
  4. There is space between c and / in the command above
  5. Wait for the scan to finish and tell me if it finds errors
Performing scan now on the lap top. I am talking to you from the desk top.

Ok. If it finds errors, please restart the computer then test MS Word. If no errors are found, please test Word without restarting.

I'll shorten the rsponse but you'll still be able to understand it.
Corrupt files found...Was unable to fix some...Listed in C:Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
Not supported n offline servicing.
Will be repaired with reboot.
Rebooted, Word still does not work.

Ok. You mentioned that you did an uninstall/reinstall of this software. I suggest that you perform a cleanup using CCleaner first, especially the registry cleanup and then restart your computer and test MS Word.

Do you have CCleaner installed?

I do not have CCleaner.
Why does Excel and Outlook work on the lap top but Word will not?

That is the problem we are trying to troubleshoot.

Please download and install the free version of CCleaner using the link below:

http://www.piriform.com/

Perform the Cleaner cleanup and the Registry cleanup

OK. One last try.

Ok

I down loaded and ran CCleaner cleanup and registry cleanup. Tried Word before a reboot and after with the same results.
I was hoping you had some idea as to what the problem was. However, I think we have to give up.
Please destroy the record of my credit card.
Thank you.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch on your screen? I can help you better in this mode and all fees are refundable if the problem is not resolved.

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

I hesitate to let any one take control of my PC. I have had some bad experiences in the past. Based on that I would rather just give up for now.

Ok, I understand and respect your decision and I am sorry if I was not able to help.

Here is the link about refunding if you want to process your refund:

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

You can also use your deposit to post questions in the future.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast