Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am trying to use percentages such as 3.6667% and excel

Customer Question

I am trying to use percentages such as 3.6667% and excel rounds it off and I need all the numbers carried out.
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: Excel 2010 My computer is hp
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: At this time only how to enter 3.666667% in a cell
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. The default decimal digits in Excel is 2 for data of type Percentage. So in your example, Excel may show only 3.67% but the actual value used in your computation is your actual input which is 3.666667%.

If you want to show all the decimal digits that you enter, all you have to do is adjust the number of decimals to a fix number like 5 or 6.

Here are the steps to do this:

1. Select the cells or rows or columns that you want to modify the decimal settings.
  2. When the selection is done, right click on the selected or highlighted area, then click on Format Cells
  3. Click the NUMBER tab
  4. Click Percentage
  5. There you will see the decimal digits, set it to your desired number like 5 or 6.
  6. Click OK

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess