Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have a training document that has a sequence of numbers

for each lesson. They are...
I have a training document that has a sequence of numbers for each lesson. They are numbered A001, A002, A003, etc. (they are not a numbered list). Is there a way to Find and Replace the entire sequence of them besides manually changing them to their new numbers (A219, A220, A221, etc.)?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Windows, the OS is 10 and it's Word 16.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/17/2017
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is***** will do whatever I can to answer your question and will be back in a moment with my reply.

you can manually find and replace for each number

find 001 replace with 101 or whatever

then find 002 and replace with 102

ect...

or are you looking to automate it so that it does all of the finds and replaces with one function?

I'm looking to replace with one function through an automated solution.

what kind of document is this, is it a word doc or excel or some other program?

It's a Word document.

ok

a macro can be written to achieve this. The problem being is how are you going to tell the macro which values you want to change and what you want to change them to

I am looking for a macro solution. The values to be changed would be A001, A002, A003..... to A219, A220, A221.... Does this help?

can you give me a complete range of values and the range to be changed too?

for example a0001 - a221 is the range

and they would be changed to

b5000 - b6000 or whatever?

get the idea?

Please find the attached.

i c

I am sending an offer for additional service to cover the cost of this

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Accepted the offer.

ok need some time to work on it

Not a problem. A day or two?

paste this code into your word document via the visual basic editor and run it,

there are a few things you need to do before running it,

1. first copy your excel file into the same folder as your word document, this is mportant

2. in the code there is a variable called Fname you will need to change the value in the quotes to the name of your excel file, this is important or it will not work

Sub fandrseq()
On Error Resume Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Const xlup = -4162
Dim xlApp As Object
Dim xlBook As Object
Dim strName As String
Dim f As String
Dim r As String
Dim lr As Long
Dim i As Long

Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
Fpath = ActiveDocument.Path & "\"
FName = "test.xlsx"

Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(Fpath & FName)
xlApp.Visible = False
lr = xlBook.Worksheets(1).Range("A1").CurrentRegion.Rows.Count
For i = 1 To lr
f = xlBook.Worksheets(1).Range("A" & i).Value
r = xlBook.Worksheets(1).Range("B" & i).Value
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = f
.Replacement.Text = r
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next i
xlBook.Close

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Ok, will do and will follow up with you.
Worked perfectly! Thank you for taking the time to build this macro.
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager