Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

I am updating a yearly booklet, but my experience with Word

I am updating a yearly booklet, but my experience with Word is limited. Am running into all sorts of layout problems such as pictures inserted moving when I press "no mark up" etc. Where can I get some help?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Dell
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I had Windows 16 but we had a bug, so they reinstalled my old Windows 7
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so, is there anyway I could talk with somebody?

Hello. My name is***** will be helping you with your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and respond.

Can you outline the steps for me that would allow me to reproduce what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I inserted two pages in a booklet for a display of members' photos. I snipped and pasted the photos. Now, every time I press "no mark-up" under the "review" bar, the pages move and the pictures move too...

Just a moment. I'll see if I can reproduce that. Would it be possible to attach the document here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I do that?

You should have a button that says add files. You can click that.

Alternatively, you can request remote desktop if you want me to connect to your computer.

Do you happen to have "track changes" enabled?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just attached it

It doesn't seem to be attached.

Do you have "track changes" enabled?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I do, yes

If you don't need to track changes, you can turn that off and that will solve your problem.

To do that, you would first want to either accept or reject the existing changes... and then turn tracking off.

The markup is created when you are tracking changes so you can see what has changed and what hasn't.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, let me see...

So if you show it or hide it - each view will affect what is on the page.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I think I did that. Now, how do I remove page numbers on certain pages?

Are they in the header and/or footer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
footer

Just double click on the footer, it will open header/footer editing. Then you can delete the numbers.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried that and it deletes other pages too

When you're done, double click back on the document.

So, you want to keep numbers on certain pages?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you have my attachment?

No, it wasn't attached.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hmmm...Let me try again...

I think I understand what you are trying to do.

If you don't want the footers to be the same as the previous page, there is an option on your ribbon that says "link to previous". If you click on that, it will unlink the footer from the previous one. Then you can change it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
34;link to previous", under what tab?

When you double click on the footer, it should bring up the design tab.

Oh, one more thing.

To do that, you must have separate "sections"

You can't link and unlink individual pages. You can do that with sections. A section is like a chapter.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just did...but it deleted the page number on the other pages too...

When you edit a header or a footer, you are editing the header and the footer for all pages in that section.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess the "section" is half of the booklet then...See, somebody else set up this booklet a long time ago. I'm just the person doing it this year. Wew...sounds complicated...I have no idea how to "edit" sections...

You create a new section by going to layout, and then breaks, and then select section.

I agree with that... it is complicated. Word is a really complicated program if you are using all the features.

And even if you know it well, all of the features do not act as expected.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Michael, if I pay this $39, can you see my screen and help me out?

Yes, if you have a request for desktop services. If you do that, I can connect.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How much will everything cost me today, do you know? Supposedly I paid a non-refundable $5 but there was mention of another $42? And now there is a $39

That's something I can't see. I don't see any of your account information. But you can contact JustAnswer customer support for that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Let me figure that out and I will be in touch.

Ok. If you decide not to do that, please remember to rate my service using the 5 star rating. Thank you, ***** ***** soon!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will. Thanks!

You're welcome.