Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

How can I remove images that have become hidden in a Word

Customer Question
2016 document, please? JA: When did...
How can I remove images that have become hidden in a Word 2016 document, please?
JA: When did you last update Word?
Customer: About 2 months ago, direct from MS
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
8/1/2017
Microsoft Office Technician: Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Computer Technician

I am sorry to hear about your problem. My name is ***** *****, I am a Tech Expert with over 20 years of experience and look forward to helping you today.

Are you having this problem with hidden images in one or more documents?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Jason

On the View tab of the Ribbon or on the status bar, choose Print Layout view. Wrapped graphics don’t display in Draft view.

- Go to File | Options | Advanced: Show document content and make sure that “Show drawings and text boxes on screen” is checked and that “Show picture placeholders” is not checked.

- If some graphics are not printing (or not displaying in Print Preview), go to File | Options | Display: Printing options and make sure that “Print drawings created in Word” is checked.

- On the Home tab of the Ribbon, locate the Paragraph group and click the dialog launcher arrow in the bottom right corner to open the Paragraph dialog; in that dialog, make sure that line spacing of the paragraph the picture is in is not set to an "Exactly” value.

----> If the graphic was inserted using Page Layout | Page Background | Page Color | Fill Effects | Picture (Page Background is on the Design tab in Word 2013), it will not be displayed unless you check the box for “Show background colors and images in Print Layout view” at File | Options | Advanced: Show document content, and it it will not print unless you check the box for “Print background colors and images” at File | Options | Display: Printing options.

----> If the graphic is a “Watermark” inserted via Page Layout | Page Background in Word 2010 or Design | Page Background in Word 2013, it is a picture or WordArt object anchored to the page header and formatted as “Behind Text,” so it will not be displayed unless you have “Show drawings and text boxes on screen” checked at File | Options | Advanced: Show document content, and it will not print unless you have “Print drawings created in Word” checked at File | Options | Display: Printing options.

Rating me on the top of the page doesn't cost anything extra. Rating is how I am given credit. If you don't rate, doesn't give you a refund.

I would really appreciate it if, you could take a moment and rate me on the top of this page by clicking the Stars and clicking the Submit button on the top of this page.

Thank you,
***** *****

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with --For ***** ***** Only!--

My Profile page:
http://JasonFixedit.com

Hi Jason,
I followed all of your instructions but the hidden images did not show up. The only time I see them is when I convert from Windows into an EPUB document then they appear behind the text.

Thank you for the update. May I connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? When the remote session begins, we will be able to communicate back and forth via a chat window that will appear on your computer screen.

At this time, no. I assume that by following your instructions those hidden images would have appeared or did I need to click on something?
I'll do another EPUB conversion to prove the images are gone or are still hiding in Word.
I'll leave this page open.

They should have appeared, unless you did something earlier to hide them in some other way.

When I inserted them and marked the "wrap text" as "top and bottom" and did the EPUB conversion, the images got surrounded by text. I then changed the "wrap text" for the images to "square" and on EPUB conversion they moved from their placed location and got surrounded by text. Then I marked the "wrap text" as "behind text" and on EPUB they appeared behind text. When I went back to the Word file, the images were gone but still on a new EPUB conversion they appear behind text nowhere near where they were originally placed.

May I take a look at the document? You can upload it to this page by clicking the Send Files option.

Sure. It's currently incomplete but has the images I want where I want them except for two images with a black frame around them on top of each other at "Phase One - Part A"
I just completed the EPUB conversion and the two images are still behind the text at Phase One - Part A

I attached the fixed document. Does that look good?

I fixed it by copying all the text and pasting it to a new document.

I had tried that without success. However, I'll do an EPUB and see. Give me about 10 minutes. Thanks

I did that and it worked. Please, take a look at the document I sent you.

It'll take a little longer as all of the formatting is gone and is in an earlier version of Word.

What will take longer?

Well, the two images are still there in the same location. As I said, I had copied and pasted to a new document and file name but to no avail.

Okay. Did you look at the document I sent you?

It took longer to do the EPUB conversion because all of the formatting had changed and the required Headings (1,2 or3) to do the conversion were missing

Did you look at the document that I sent you?

That's what I was talking about. You must have an older version of Word. Your file had lost the formatting required to do the EPUB. But as I mentioned, the two images are still there, same location, after converting your file to EPUB

I am sorry, but I am not following. The document that I sent you shows the images. Is it not showing for you?

No, the hidden images are not showing in the document you sent me. They only appear behind text after the EPUB conversion.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Thanks for your time Jason. I hope if the next guy figures it out, he'll share the solution with you.
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 3 months ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

to fix something like this if you cannot find your images, will require VBA

press "Alt" and "F11" at the same time on the keybaord to get to the vba editor

then in the section on the left that says "thisdocument"

paste this code and run it

Sub removepics()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

For Each shp In ActiveDocument.InlineShapes
shp.Delete
Next shp

For Each shp In ActiveDocument.Shapes
shp.Delete
Next shp

Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

note this code will delete all images, embeded, or pasted, all shapes, smartart, charts, and clipart. From the entire document. So you will basically have to insert any of this stuff again that you do want.

Don't forget to rate so I am paid for my time.

Bonus always is appreciated.

did you see your answer?

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager