Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Is there a way to still use spell check on the unlocked

Customer Question

is there a way to still use spell check on the unlocked cells in a worksheet that is protected?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: it would be used on several but all PCs no macs
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no and unfortunately some would be using an older version of excel
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no - nothing else
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

It could be done via a macro

Which is the oldest version of Excel the sheet is used on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
probably 2010. This is for a performance review worksheet we are creating so we would need to create it on the main template so that all other users could use it in the most simple way possible -
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Ok, the best is via a button.

You would make a button and use this code.

Sub SpellCheck()
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
Cells.CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC", IgnoreUppercase:=False, AlwaysSuggest:=True, SpellLang:=1033
ActiveSheet.Protect
End Sub()

Then have the button run the code. If there is a password ***** it you would put the password ***** the unprotect and protect work in my code.

Are you able to implement this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
let me try - one minute
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well unfortunately I can't figure it out - my command button doesn't work once I protect the spreadsheet so I know I am doing something wrong - just not sure what
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay I didn't have design mode turned off
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

I have made an offer, if you accept it I can do it on your sheet for you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but now I get the error
compile error expected end sub
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have the spreadsheet done for you to add the macro. I would have to finish the spreadsheet and then have you do it which I might have to do. in the meantime are you able to tell me what I have done wrong so far?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

I cannot see as I am not able to see how you implemented it or other factors in your sheet.

But if I did it on the sheet you now have, then you can keep working on it once done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My HR director has the sheet - I am working in a blank worksheet. Could I have her send it to you and you add it and send it back. It is $39 is that correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

Yes you could, once you accept the offer, yes it is $39, then have her upload it to this link

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/adulgqh5qnr60hv/AAAbn8I5x7kBekHdlBh3D1mIa?dl=0

It is secure, and not available publically unless you have the link but I remove the file once done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
okay - it will be a few minutes let me check with her
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is going to try to use your code to create the macro since she has more experience w macros than I do. I will also save your dropbox link and let you know if we decide to go that route instead - thanks for all your help
Expert:  Richard replied 2 months ago.

You;re welcome

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service for now by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you