Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

How can I generate a file in ASCII format from an Excel

worksheet JA: What's the make and...
How can I generate a file in ASCII format from an Excel worksheet
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Excel are you using?
Customer: Lenovo, Mcrosfot OS 10, Excle 2010
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO, all I need is to convert .xls to .ascii
7/14/2017
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Just characters from 1 to 255?

It is a standard Excel ,xls file
I would like to perform the operation myself, so that I can do the same k=later on

Okay, I will send you a file shortly.

Hello? Can I post here?
Oh! I can, finally!
Please be so kind as to provide me with step by step procedure. Thanks.

Hello, I tried N times to give the answer here but the site just didn't allow me to post anything. Sorry for the delay.

Basically what you require can be done by the function of CHAR.

Please see an example here.

thing happens when I click on the word "here" in the phrase "Please see an example here." The link does not take me to your explanation regarding CHAR.
Nothing happens when I click on the word "here" in the phrase "Please see an example here." The link does not take me to your explanation regarding CHAR or the example you mention.
That link is for an example. Just check column B for the formula. Are the shown ASCII codes something you are after?
Please see the attached file NEW.xlsx. What I need to do is to convert this file to ASCII format. In the ASCII file, the first 9 rows are to be omitted and the converted file in ASCII format ought to start from row 10.Microsoft help indicates that this can be done by saving the .xlsx file as .csv or .text, but this does not workThe other option is as under:
How do I output my spreadsheet data as an ASCII, delimited text file?Select: File - Save As... from the main menu
In the Save as dialog that appears, select File type Text CSV (.csv; .txt) from the list of spreadsheet file types.
Press T several times in the list to quickly jump to that entry.
Click to enable the box next to Edit filter settings.
Click Save.
In the Export of text files dialog box that pops up, enter the field and text delimiters of your choice.
The Text delimiter is the character that will surround any text entries in your spreadsheet, to keep each phrase together as an entity, when the file is exported into ASCII formatBut I do not have an option for "File type Text CSV (.csv; .txt)". What I have is file type .csv or .txt. Saving in either of the two results in a simple Text file.Please help with step-by-step instructions of how to save the attached .xls file to a .ascii file.Thanks
> step-by-step instructions of how to save the attached .xls file to a .ascii file.
Okay, you are asking to export a spreadsheet into a TEXT file, not to convert numbers into corresponding ASCII characters.
Just moment. I will get a screenshot on Windows 10 for showing the steps.
The file obtained must have an extension .ascii. Only then will the software package use it as input data

I am working on creating an instructive screenshot. The generated file will be in extension CSV by default, and can be easily renamed to .ascii as required.

far, so good. But how do I go from file with extension .csv to one with extension .ascci? If I just rename the fiel with the ascii extension, it does not work, The subsequent program to which this is to be input does not recognize it as an ascii file,
Is below the ascii file that you are talking about?
https://fileinfo.com/extension/asciiBasically it is just plain text file which can be opened by any text editor program. However, due to the code sets defined by different OS, characters might be interpreted differently. In this case, try saving as Unicode Text or Text (Macintosh) etc.

Does it make sense? Any feedback please?

The issue is how do I make the transition from Example.csv to Example.ascii?The file in question has to be read by a program that demands a file Example.ascii.How do I go from .csv to .ascii?
As I said, just rename the from exension .csv to .ascii. If the content can't be accepted or recognised by your application, please let me know their specific technical requirement.
Thanks very much.

FYI - as your Excel sheet got 9 rows on top of the actual table including 5 lines with a few data, the output in CSV format will have the same data at the beginning, I am not sure if it is readable for your application. If not, you may simply manually remove them and make other modifications as necessary.

MIN,,0.04,,0,,,0,0.15,,,,,,,,
MAX,,0.15,,,,,0.12,0.45,,0,0.05,0.1,0.15,0.2,0.25,0.3
WEIGHT,,1.5,,,,,1,1.2,,,,,,,,
BINARY CUTOFF,,0.03,,,,,0.08,0.45,,,,,,,,
_ CUT OFF,,,,,,,,,,,,0.25,,,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
DEPTH,DEPTH,PHIE,VSAND,VLIME,VDOL,ANHD,CLAY,SW,PHICUT,VCLCUT,SWCUT,BIN HEFF,XI,XI HEFF,XI FLAG,B-FLAG
6095.67,,0,0,0.302457574,0.587779574,0.002644851,0.107118,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.702190418,0,0,0
6096.17,,0,0,0.080348671,0.426962871,0.322426458,0.170262,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.844406634,0,0,0
6096.67,,0,0,0.086950827,0.544967227,0.213088946,0.154993,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.810016994,0,0,0
6097.17,,0,0,0.144402822,0.630717822,0.098432356,0.126447,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.745724201,0,0,0
6097.67,,0,0,0.14029414,0.67037214,0.09105872,0.098275,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.682273751,0,0,0
6098.17,,0,0,0.111836743,0.692771743,0.111041514,0.08435,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.650911138,0,0,0
6098.67,,0,0,0.061885974,0.739264374,0.122785653,0.076064,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.632248976,0,0,0
6099.17,,0,0,0.069403248,0.774766248,0.098872503,0.056958,0.99,0.04,0.08,0.45,0,-0.589217445,0,0,0

bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
bbao
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant