NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

I have a problem with formatting text boxes in charts. In

Customer Question

Hi - I have a problem with formatting text boxes in charts. In inserted charts I can use align tool, but in chart sheets I can't. Why?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Many pcs - all exhibit the same problem with 2016
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Generally we use Excel 2013 because of this problem I recently installed office 2016 to try to solve it once again
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you send me a sample file showing the problem so that I can check it from my end? You can use the paper clip icon or the Add Files button to attach the sample Excel file.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Attached is part of a template file we use with only two work sheets to illustrate the problem. The first worksheet has a chart inserted - the second is a chart sheet. I've removed the other worksheets we use to generate data and titles, etc. because I'd prefer not to share our software.If you try to align the 'test' text boxes on both worksheets, you'll notice that, for the chart sheet, the align options are grayed out. In addition, multi copying/pasting functions don't work, and the multi select has to be done with shift-click rather than control-click.Steve
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jess,Can you confirm you received my response and file?Steve
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the sample file, yes I got it!

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve,

I do not see any problem on your file with regards ***** ***** or aligning the text boxes. Can you please tell me what exactly is the command that is NOT available on Chart Sheet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In Excel 2016,
With (or without) two or more text boxes selected,
Drawing Tools> Format> Align> All Align options are grayed out with the exception of 'Snap to Grid' and 'Snap to Shape.' We particularly use 'Align to Top' regularly.It should be noted that all of the other options on the Drawing Tools> Format ribbon are also grayed out. None of this is the case when working with the inserted chart in the 'Insert' worksheet.Are you saying that you are running Excel 2016, and that you are not experiencing this anomaly? If so, than the question is, i guess, whether there is a configuration or hardware issue that Excel 2016 on my pcs are running up against.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Steve,

Thank you for that clarification. I am using Excel 2010 on the computer right now, the other computer with Excel 2016 is not with me. And in this version of Excel, the alignment commands are all intact and no issues.

When you click on a text box, Drawing tools show up, and Format is there pre-selected, and the Align group of commands are under Arrange group. Do you see the same command there but grayed out?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jess,The 'Align' command itself is not grayed, and as I noted above, two of the commands in that drop down menu are not grayed out.The more relevant issue is that, and I guess I didn't make this clear above, we do not have this problem with older versions of Excel; we continue use 2013 because of this problem, so you troubleshooting this in Excel 2010 is not relevant. Microsoft pushes updates on us all the time, and retires support and download ability for its older versions of Office (and Windows!), which is why I need to solve this problem. We can't be faced with a situation where we lose functionality or need to modify our programs because MS presses new versions on us with functional anomalies.Also, we use these programs on numerous machines, and, as is the case with Excel 2013, if I need to configure Excel on a new machine and it is no longer available, I'm SOL.My apologies for not being clearer about this, but it never occurred to me that paid Microsoft tech support would be troubleshooting using a legacy version of their software, and I did indicate that the problem is with Excel 2016.Please confirm that you are clear about my tech support issue - that it is an issue with the 2016 update - and let me know if you will be able to troubleshoot it in the version of the software (Excel 2016) that I am having a problem with.Thank you.
Steve
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

I am out of ideas. Please let me opt out so that other experts can assist you further.

Expert:  bbao replied 3 months ago.
You mean the problem persists in both 2013 and 2016?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No - the problem is new to Excel 2016.
Expert:  bbao replied 3 months ago.

Sorry just noticed the Excel file has been uploaded previously. But there is no data there and got invalid references. Can you please provide a workable version? Thanks.

Expert:  bbao replied 2 months ago.

Any feedback please?