bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

My prederred in-text citation is like this: [Ree 77] Dell

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My prederred in-text citation is like this: [Ree 77]
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Dell Optiplex 2010 running Win 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: All the latest
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want my Word in-text citations to look like [Ree-77]
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. What is currently your in-text citations format in your word document?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
By manual text editing. None of the standard formats are acceptable; (1) is too cryptic, [Reenskaug 1977) too long.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

So you want the format to take the first 3 characters of the Author (Ree), then a dash (-), then the 2 digit year. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You offer to connect to my computer and want me to pay more. This has nothing to do with the problem and I have already paid something. There is no evidence of a person even having read my question.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

I am very sorry about the confusion. I am reading your replies. Regarding the offer, that is optional and is system generated so you can ignore it if you do not want to avail of our Secure Remote Assistance service.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still waiting for an answer. Can I use Word citations and bibliography service, or do I have to edit citations manually
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Please answer my inquiry to confirm your desired results.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do citations (references) by manual text editing. None of the standard formats are acceptable; (1) is too cryptic, [Reenskaug 1977) too long. Can the Word bibliography support help me?
Expert:  bbao replied 3 months ago.

Basically, it seems you need a custom citation style. Correct?

If so, please check here the official document for the steps. BTW, you need to know basic concepts about XML things before reading this.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/VBA/Word-VBA/articles/create-custom-bibliography-styles

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Looks good, thank you. I have no more time today, but will try XML as soon as possible. Thank you.
Expert:  bbao replied 3 months ago.

You are welcome. If you think your question has been well addressed, could you please kindly accept my answer and rate my service to close this question? Don't worry about any follow-up, please feel free to ask any related questions here even the question has been closed. Thanks.