Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

How do I copy a number in microsoft excel and paste it in

"text" format? Thanks...
How do I copy a number in microsoft excel and paste it in "text" format? Thanks
6/17/2017
Elgin Vega

Hi, my name is***** will try my best to help you resolve your problem.

To copy that number in text format just right the number and select format cell then select text then ok.

After that you will be able to copy the number as text.

Let me know if works.

hi Thanks for the reply but when I do that, nothing comes out. Its blank. But I can past it regular and then highlight it and then go to format and then change it to text. But the problem is that when I do that, it shows up as scientific notation. Like 9078+E. I can double click on it and it reverts back to the number and thats what I want, but the problem is that I have like thousands of row and I cannot double click on each on of them.

copy the number first then convert it to text.

when I convert it to text it shows up as scientific notation. Here is the number I'm working with 999000530979

The only way is if you format to number and it will work

but if i format it to number, its not a text format anymore. I need it to be text
Josh, Computer Enthusiast

Right click on the cell and select Paste Special

Select Text then OK

but then it shows to scientific notation. I don't want that.

The cell is likely too small.

Go to the top and expand the cell and it will show the number if you make it big enough

i tried that. I don't think its too small. it automatically changes to scientific notation. Here is the number I'm working with 999000530979

Please expand the row.

As a test, I had the same issue until I expanded the row at the top.

i did. Same thing. You probably double clicked on it. If you double clicked on it, it will turn into numbers

If you double click on the column at the top, it will expand the cell large enough to display all of the numbers.

The reason it is showing a scientific number is ***** the cell is too small to show all of the numbers.

which row? the column?

Yes, the column at the top. (A, B, C, D, etc)

it does nothing for me

Right click on the cell then Format Cell

Select Number then Decimal Places at 0 then OK

if i did that, then it will become number and not text

I am not sure that I understand -- 999000530979 is a number

the format would be a "number". I want the format to be a "text"

Select Custom then OK

which custom you want me to use?

I apologize, I meant Special then OK (use the already selected option for Zip Code)

i tried that before already

I was able to use that option on my sheet

You have to make sure the column is wide enough too

but your changing it to another format. I need it to stay in text

May I know the reason that you need to keep a number as text?

because thats the format I need for work.

Thank you.

I will opt out and allow another expert to help you with this issue. You will see a message when the next expert replies here.

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

there is a formula that you can use to convert numbers to text

give me a minute and i will get it for you

in the cell that you want the text

put the formula

=text(A1,"0.0")

where A1 is the cell that the orignal number was in

and "0.0" is the way that you want the text to look so "0" would give you only the whole number "0.00" would give you two decimal places etc

if that is not text enough you can copy that cell and paste special into another cell selecting "value" as the paste special type.

flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
thank you

You are very welcome. Gad i could help

if you have any problems in the future please come back and ask for me

thanks again for the rating

flopcat98
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant