Ricky Kresslein
Ricky Kresslein, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  3+ Years in Tech Support
98270431

Is there a way to recover an unsaved word document? HP Envy

Customer Question

Hi Is there a way to recover an unsaved word document?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: HP Envy Microsoft office standard 2013
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no I just closed a document and didn't save it but I should have!
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is there a fee for the service?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Microsoft Office Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: what is an estimate of "the rest"?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Ricky Kresslein replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

With Word 2010, Microsoft introduced a draft feature in which Word creates a temporary draft of all the documents created in it. The draft is available for up to 4 days, after that, it will be deleted. So if you are using Word 2010 or above and the lost document is still under the 4 days period, follow the following instructions to recover the lost document:

1. Open Microsoft Word, and click on “File” option.
  2. Here, navigate to “info” and then, click on “Manage Versions”.
  3. You will see a dropdown menu here, click on it and select “Recover Unsaved Documents”.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This didn't work. I tried that. When asked if I should save changes I said Dont save then clicked it When I reopened the document I realized it hadn't been saved from the previous hours worth of work. Is the a way to take my computer back to a certain time? Like 2 hours ago. Then it would be there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you really fix this if you connect to my computer? Or is the document lost ?

You can take your computer back to a previous time, but unfortunately it only affects programs and Windows updates, not personal files. That pop-up for remote connection is automatic, you can disregard it.

When you opened Word again, did it ever ask you to reload from a previous autosave?

I am afraid if this does not work your document is completely lost. I'm sorry, I know how frustrating it is to lose a file you have spent a lot of time on.