Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Setting up Outlook 2016 (on a Windows 10 laptop): I have 4

Customer Question
Setting up Outlook 2016 (on...
Setting up Outlook 2016 (on a Windows 10 laptop):
I have 4 or 5 email address and have started by adding one to Outlook (a gmail account). I would like to move the outlook data file to a different folder and rename it, and then add more email accounts to share the same data file. I'm not sure how to do this. Also the existing data file has extension ost; I have pst files on my other computers. Is this OK and what is the difference in file types.
Thanks!
Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/24/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 12 months ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

You mean you want combine the Outlook Inbox of different accounts into a single file?

Yes, that's what I'm doing on my other computers.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/combine-outlook-inbox

It applies to Outlook 2007 and higher, including 2016 on Windows 10.

I do not see a Change Folder button as shown in the document.

Please bear with me for a while to check the details on different versions.

See the "Open File Location..." button on tool bar for this "Data Files" tab? That's it.

FYI

www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/to-move-an-outlook-personal-folders-pst-file/

The outlook file is shown as an OST file (not PST). Will this procedure work for this type of file?

No. You need to manually create a PST file for combined accounts. OST file is basically a cache file and can be only associated with one account.

For more info, please check this MS official article.

This article does not tell me how to manually create a pst file, or how to rename and move the file.

I said in my initial question the outlook file is OST.

We're going in circles. I will contact Microsoft support.

PST data file created?

Yes, and it made no difference. Then I tried to assign the pst file as the new outlook data file and my emails disappeared. After restarting Outlook it reverted back to the previous ost file.

Your responses are not specific enough for a non-expert to be successful, and may lead to making things worse. I will fix this with Microsoft tomorrow.

Okay. Try Microsoft first. However you are welcome to come back anytime. :)
bbao
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant