Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Not able to sumif values "000", "00" and "0"

Customer Question
Not able to sumif values...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/16/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please send me a sample of your Excel file data so that I can check from my end to see what causes the problem? You can use the Add Files button to attach a sample file in your reply.
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to sumif "000" based on the blocks below. Refer to the other sizes to see formula

Thank you for the sample file. Please give me a moment to check it

Can you please tell me which specific cell or column are you referring to or where the SUMIF formula is located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I highlighted the red cells sorry.

For instance, E4 where the SUMIF formula is stored, is showing the result as 14. Is it wrong? What is your expected result for E4 then?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
let's start with G14. My expected results is 0 but if I use the sumif version it gives me 5191 SUMIFS($G$138:$G$99916,$F$138:$F$99916,"000")
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry G24

Ok. Please give me a moment to check

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
E24 COUNTIFS($F$138:$F$100000,"000",$D$138:$D$100000,"1",$E$138:$E$100000,"<=4")..... The answer should be 0 because I only want to count "000" if column D has a 1 in the below cells. If it helps to talk, I'm open to phone conversation

No, I do not provide phone support. I am checking your file now

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok no prob

You are saying G24 should be 0. It is now. But it is not using SUMIF formula.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct. I would like to use the sumif formula or any short formula to sum the cells below.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried using the sumif formula but it does not want to recognize "000" "00" and "0" as a seperate function

I am very sorry, but I am running out of time and I cannot continue to help you with this. I am signing off now so please allow me to opt out so that my fellow experts who are available now can assist you further. You will be notified when another expert joins you here.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 1 year ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

if you are trying to sumif column D, if the value is 000 unfortunately that will not work. The numbers are stored as text and excel cannot sum text. It works the same for lookups, if numbers stored as text it cannot be looked up. If you convert to number then it would become a 0 which would be the same as other 0, so that might not work for you.

What exactly is your goal, what are you trying to accomplish?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i'm trying to accomplish adding all units associated with "000" "00" "0" without have to add them all up individually.

so if it contains that value in column D. Inother words it is "000", "000a", "b000", "a000b","0000001" those would all get summed, and you are trying to sum column E?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but In Column E, I'm trying to countif not sumif "if they meet the criteria of having a 1 in column d". In column G....I'm trying to sumif based on Column E.

ok, you will need to run me though this again.

you want to get both counts and sums. Which column do you want to get the counts or sums of based on the criteria?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am trying to sumif Column G first. I would like to add all "000"(G24) units together based on the sizes in column E. Sum all "00" (G25)units and "0"(G26) units separately
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To make it plain and simple. Refer to the calcs in all sizes excluding the leading 0 sizes. I'm trying to use the same calcs in the column but I can't figure out how to do it with 0000
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello can anyone help
Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 1 year ago
Richard, Software Specialist

Hi there, I am looking at this now for you.

But one thing, if you sumif on 0 you get 0 as its summing 0

Do you mean countif ?

To count how many times it appears?

ok, I have looked at it but a little confused as you want to sumif on 0 and 000 ect but this will always return a 0

Or are you saying to sum the column next to it if it has 00 ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's not possible to sumif "000"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Column G......Look at the formulas by the size. I was trying to calc "000" the same way but you are right, it returns 0. Is there a way around this?

no its no possible as your summing 0

0+0 will always = 0

even 00000+00000 = 0

As your only adding 0

There is no way to get around this, it is not a limitation of Excel it is maths.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Thank you

Richard, Software Specialist