Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Excel question

Customer Question
Excel question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I made a spreadsheet to figure biweekly accrued time now what I want to do is add that time to a cell to update current vac and personal time.
11/12/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

OK. I can answer that question easily.

Either you can tell me what cell the biweekly accrued time is in (e.g. C2, F15) and what cell you want to add that time to... or you could post me the 'sheet, and I can insert the formula you want where you want it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
B5, B6 show current vac and personal time balances they currently are entered manually, I need the bimonthly accrued time automatically added to B5 and B6. In H7 the weeks of biweekly pay periods are counted down, one suggestion would be that as that number goes down it adds vac 4.6 and per 1.53 accrued time to B5,B6 respectfully. Another words I want the cells B5 and B6 to reflect the bimonthly time accrued.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should be able to add the formula to the sheet myself once you create it. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I attached the sheet

You cannot, in Excel, both add a quantity to a cell and have the cell value entered manually.

A value entered manually in one cell, can be added to another value and the sum can be put in another cell (or two cell's values can be entered manually, added, and the sum put in another cell. Or, a cell value entered manually can be added to another formula-calculated value in another cell, and the sum placed in a third cell.)

So which cells of the ones you mentioned - B5, B6 (Vac time, Personal Time, for employee), and H7 (weeks of Biweekly pay-periods, and is that entered manually?...) - would have calculated time put in by formula, and which ones would have their amounts entered manually?

(Perhaps you're thinking of a script which would be run periodically, not a formula?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I want to get away from entering manually I want it automatically via formula. Currently cells B5 and B6 are entered manually based on paycheck stub information.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The time is accrued bimonthly

OK... A formula cannot be 'timed' or periodic, and a script would be in VB language, which I am not good at.

Since what you need is really a VB script to be run periodically, but otherwise to serve the purpose of a formula, I am Opting Out, opening the case to other Experts in this category - a VB Expert will take this up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The time in H7 is periodic based on biweekly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want a VB script, I want a formula like what is in H7
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 1 year ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Let me review the question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've attached a spread sheet, it lets me know how much vacation and personal time I have left by the end of year. As you can see I accrue 4.6hr vac and 1.53 Personal time on a bimonthly basis. I been able to come up with a formula to figure bimonthly pay periods left in the year but I would like for that information to automatically update the cells B5 and B6 as it counts down the weeks then it adds accrued time to B5 and B6 totals. I want a formula to do this.

Thanks.

Okay, basically you need the formulas for B5 and B6. Right?

Can you do a manual calculation for B5 and B6 in order to demonstrate how 67.8 ans 23.7 are calculated? I need to confirm the details. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been updating the hours in cells B5 and B6 manually based on check stub information in order to calculate year end results. I need a way to add bimonthly accrued time to those totals so it does it automatically, is there a way to increase B5 as H5 decreases and increase B6 as H6 decreases by the same amounts.

What I mean please show me the manual way how 67.8 is calculated such as ? x ? + ? = 67.8. The same for 23.7.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
67.8 and 23.7 are current balances taken from pay stub. How does payroll figure these balances? For example say I start the year with 80 hours rolled over from previous year and I take 50 hours vacation time during this year that leaves 30 but I will accrue 37.8 hours 4.6hr per pay period now I have 67.8 hours. 80-50+37.8=67.8 Same goes with personal. I can do another sheet and list the vacation time taken and have that total deducted from the total hours that's no problem. What I want is a automated way to deduct accrued time on a bimonthly basis.

Okay. Thanks. In a meeting. Back to you once available.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the meeting over?

Yes, the meeting was over. Sorry for the delay.

Okay I still need to clarify further. It seems your current calculations such K5=B5+H5 and H6=B6+H6 are based on B5 and B6, how could you calculate B5 and B6 based back to column K and H again?

Are you still there with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm back, sorry
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your looking at year end totals if you add current hours plus future accrued hours you get year end totals
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Your looking at year end totals, if you add current vac hours(B5) plus future accrued vac hours (H5) you get year end totals, they include what will be accrued by end of year.

> if you add current vac hours(B5) plus future accrued vac hours (H5) you get year end totals

I understand that, and your formula at K5 (=B5+H5) also tells that.

I think your question is how to calculate B5 and B6, right?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
34;I think your question is how to calculate B5 and B6, right?" Yes, Well what I was hoping to do is update B5 and B6 with accrued bimonthly hours. There are 3 pay periods currently left say when that changes to 2 is there a way to add the accrued time to B5 and B6 automatically updating totals.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Currently H7 automatically counts down on a bimonthly basis, and changes H5 totals, is there a way to formula add what is deducted from H5 to B5?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Currently H7 automatically counts down on a bimonthly basis, and changes H5 and H6 totals, is there a formula to add what is deducted from H5 and H6 to B5 and B6?

Okay, please simply advise your expression to calculate B5 based on H5?

Something like B5 = ? * H5, or you may use numbers if you have to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
H5 formula is =E5*H7 can the same formula contain B5-E5?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correction H5 formula is =E5*H7 can the same formula contain B5+E5?

You mean new B5 = old B5 + E5?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I add 4.6hr to B5 on a bimonthly basis, when H7 formula updates bimonthly to lower number.

Okay, it seems you are not getting what I am asking. I opt out and let other experts help you further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
H7 formula is =INT((DATE(YEAR(E2),12,31)-E2)/13) can an expression be added that adds 4.6 to cell B5 at the same time.
NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast