Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I think I saved over a word doc on my mac (word 2011 for

Customer Question
mac), really need help finding...
I think I saved over a word doc on my mac (word 2011 for mac), really need help finding out how to get it back
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: Macbook pro using Yosemite 10 (10.10.6) and using Word 2011 for mac
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
10/28/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

If you saved OVER it.....there is no way.

Unfortunately, theres no magic UNDO that exists.

You physically changed the files bits (the 1's and 0's) that make up the file, and theres no way to change them back......theres no record of the old file now....its gone.

Ofcourse, if you had sent the file in an email.....or have it saved elsewhere.....you could just go grab it......but, thats the only way.

I know its bad news....but now you know.....and you dont have to keep looking for a solution.

Please take a moment to rate.

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me ask you this, word crashed prior to me saving over it and in my trash file were some recovery files but I can't make sense of what is in them
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
id rather not connect

recovery files?

can you open the recovery files?

do they have a file entension?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the file is called "recovery files" and inside is something entitled "MerpAd Office 365"
but it looks blank

okay.....just a moment.....i dont think it will help......but give me just a moment to cross reference.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay thx

okay, those recovery files have nothing to do with YOUR actual data file.

what it is....is a file used to send microsoft about the parameters that were present when the App crashed.

So....it does not have your file in it....its just a file that is for error reporting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay thanks for the help

I know....for a fact (as its not the first time a perosn saved over a file by mistake) that the fiel you saved over is forever gone. That is how computers work.

.

Please take a moment to rate.

Thank You!

if you dont make a rating, then i dont get any compensation for helping you.

please take a moment to rate .

Thank You!

Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070