The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager
Experience:  20 years experience providing remote computer support
62934938

I require an expert "excel" person to assist me design a

I require an expert "excel" person to assist me design a step by step process for processing a large quantity of data in an efficient and timely manner and I am attaching my question by way of a word document and an example by way of an excel file.In essence this relates to how to process say 150,000 rows of data and identify the duplicate rows; then retain the information in each row before deleting the duplicates with a plan that is efficient and timely in terms of the likely time it could take to process such data.

please send an example file

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
attached
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Attached as requested

please try to provide more detail as to exactly what you would want to do. I understand about removing duplicates. Is that if the entire row is a duplicate, or is it for a specific column.

And what do you mean by retain information before removing duplicat, does that mean you want a list of only the duplicate rows?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I apologise for not being able to initially convey a clear explanation of what is required as I had hoped the word doc that I supplied originally had that detail..Firstly to answer your specific questions:-1) What I want to do is this:-a) I want to "identify the duplicate entries" in the spreadsheet (You asked for an example and I gave you one of the 5 spreadsheets in question - that one having about 53,900 rows of data approximately). By "identify the duplicate entries" I mean specifically "rows of data" that have the same data in "both" Columns B and D. In cases where the data in Columns B "and" D on any particular row is the same as the data in Columns B "and" D on another row then those rows in question are (for my purposes) duplicate rows.b) having identified the duplicate rows (per (a) above) the second step or focus is to examine what data is contained in each of those duplicate rows. Why? Because we are only going to retain one row related to that particular business (in this case we are talking about a spreadsheet related to businesses). If we are only going to retain one row of data for that particular business then that means all the other rows (the duplicate rows) are going to have to be deleted. HOWEVER, those rows that are going to be deleted could have additional data on them (related to that business) that does not appear in the row that we intend to retain and I want to be able to keep as much of that additional data as is possible rather than just deleting that data by simply deleting those duplicate rows without first extracting from those rows about to be deleted the maximum amount of data that doesn't already exist in columns within the row that we are retaining.c) It is essential that in the row that we are intending to retain there already be data in Columns AQ, B, C and D (which will normally be the case anyway) PLUS I need to make sure if amongst these duplicate rows about to be deleted for a particular business if there is:-
1) any data in any such duplicate row to be deleted that exists in Column P (e-mail address) on any of those rows then that this information in Column P is transferred from the row that it is currently on and put on the row that is going to be retained (that is that particular data is put in Column P "on the row that is being retained"). This is my "minimum" requirement in terms of the data that has to be on the row that is not being deleted. Again in almost all cases there will be no problem really with the data that appears in Columns A, B, C and D in that all rows will already have that data. The problem relates to Column P in that the data that relates to this business that appears in Column P may not be on all rows related to this particular business and may need "somehow" to be transferred from the row (and Column P on that row) that it is currently on (that row being "a row that it is intended be deleted in this process") and transferred to the row (and Column P) which it is intended to be retained after deletion of the other duplicate rows related to that particular business.2) Now (1) above is the minimum requirement I have BUT ideally IF it was possible (in terms of efficiency and cost timewise) I would also like to simularly retain (on the row we are intending to retain and not delete - related to this particular business) the information that might appear in other columns on other rows that are intended to be deleted. In doing so it would be necessary to transfer data (in other columns in other rows that are about to be deleted) to the same columns in the row that is to be retained."This assumes" that in transferring that data in those columns on those rows that are about to be deleted to the corresponding columns on the row that is going to be retained related to that particular business, that the column on that row to be retained currently has no data in that column on that row.Where there is already data in a particular column (on the row to be retained for a particular business) then I am "not" looking to physically "replace" that existing data with data from rows to be deleted. That being the case, we either let that data in those columns on those rows which are schedule to be deleted and which can't be transferred to the corresponding column of the row to be retained (because there is already data in that column on the row to be retained) be lost or we find a way to transfer that data in those columns on those rows to be deleted to "new columns" on that row to be retained (and possibly go back to all these newly created columns at a later date and see if we can re- analyse those columns).There are numerous ways I think to achieve these objectives but I need a real expert to asist me find the most time efficient way of doing this. We can, of course, initailly identify the duplicates by conditional formating I am guessing. Of course, we can custom sort with differing levels etc. Continued....
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bringing all that together in some sort of multi step process within excel is one option that I am seeking clatrification on from an excel expert - so I need to have laid out for me the answer on how best to do this; what the spefic steps are to achieve this; how to implement those steps (i.e., what to actually do in excel) and an estimate of how long it is envisaged that this execise might take to do on a database of 5 spreadsheets which contain in total about 150,000 rows of data.Now to help explain this I have taken a vey small sample of data out of the large spreadsheet I sent you to illustrate what I am talking about. If you refer to that large spreadsheet of data (around about row No 272 onwards) I took asample of data which I included in the attachment here and then I "manually processed" those rows of data to show you what a possible result might look like (except in this case there was some data in some columns that were about to be deleted but I couldn't transfer to a corresponding column on the row to be retained simply because there was already data in that corresponding row to be retained).The alternative to the above approach might be to somehow:-1) On the row to be retained ensure that there is data in Columns A,B,C and D and most importantly in Column P .2) Then to take all those duplicate rows (that are about to be deleted) and somehow transfer these to another spreadsheet with a strategy to then somehow then consolidate the individual columns of those "duplicated" rows per business and amalgamate those rows per business so that there is data in all columns per business - but I haven't thought that through at this stage so that may be an alternate excel strategy possibilly?Does that clearly explain what it is that I am trying to achieve and in doing so does that answer your questions?

I looked at your very small example and do have a few more questions.

First let me explain how this might be accomplished.

First of all there is no such formula that will do this it will need some VBA.

The first part is relatively easy, look for duplicates in column D,B. and delete any row that has no value in column P. This will leave the row containing column P automatically.

Now is where it gets tricky.

If you want to retain data from other rows, it will significantly increase processing time/cost as now blanks anywhere have to be replaced with any potentital data. And the way excel accesses the computers CPU is not the most efficient for this kind of work.

Now the problem occurs when what happens if say for example you have 3 duplicate rows and they have 3 different values in column P or any other coluimn. How does the program prioritize which one to keep and which to delete.

One such way might be to delete 2 of the rows, but copy any extranious data into new columns. Perhaps you can say what the most important data is and those could be copied into new column to the right of the row we are keeping. But this might not look very good, but atleast the data is retained.

Other option is to copy the entire row that is being deleted to another sheet. so you have a master list of the retained data but still have a backup of the original deleted data somewhere that you can refer to.

So ultimately I would suggest we do this is multiple steps. first do the minimum, just delete any duplicates that have empty column P. THen once that is in place, we can open new questions and see if there is more that can be done with the program.

here are my questions.

1. What version of excel do you have.

2. Is this list contained in multiple workbooks or multiple sheets within a workbook.

3. Is each list unique, meaning that list 2 wont contain any duplicates of list 1, meaning that there will not be a duplicate row in the 2nd list that is a duplicate of any row in the first list.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
answers:-2016 ExcelIn multiple workbooks (because of size) i.e., 5 workbooks - one sheet in each worklbook. (= 5 sheets in total).Spreadsheets are in alphabetical order (related to business name) and therefore as between spreadsheets there is no cross over of business names - all duplicates are contained within the one only spreadsheet.Comment:-It occurred to me that the answer to my question originally might be :-1 To take the spreadsheets as they are - there are "unique" values of interest in 12 separate Columns D,F,H,J,L,M,O,P,Q,R,S and T per row.Now without actually deleting the duplicates at all - it might be possible to say filter each column so that say filtering Column D for instance I will get a unique list of rows from in this case A, B, C, and D (ignore the data in the other columns); then redo the exercise but in this next case filter Column F (ignoring all Columns except Columns A, B, C and F. - on so on.Now the end use of this data is to be able to upload this into a CRM and so if practical (I will need to ask the question) I might be able to upload one field of data (One Column e.g., A,B,C and D ) but do this 12 times per spreadsheet.Just a rather clumsy and basic way of achieving an end result if there isn't amore logical and technologically efficieny way of achieving the objective here ?Jeff Bracegirdle (I forgot to ask your name - apologies)..

well if you are going to import to a database

The way it is usually done is that we have a separate table for each of the ABCD unique values, then using ID#s reference that back to the table that contains all the other rows.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I am asking the CRM people that question now but that might mean in total there could be say ( not 150,000 unique businesses) an estimate of 100,000 businesses (with say of the 12 columns associated with the spreadsheet) - say an "average" of 6 columns used per business - just for these purposes say it was a 600,000 entries - just how long (wildly roughly) would it take to upload a million entries into a crm? IK asked that because it might be impossible to do timewise bringing us bach to looking for the original excel solution.

it depends on what software is being used.

Are you doing the database in MS Access or MySQL or something.

As far as importing the table from a file that does not take long. Then what we have to do is create tables and reports and stuff. Once it is in a data base it really doesn't matter. 100K to 600K records is nothing for a data base, many companies use DBs for 10s of millions of records.

And yes technically you could just set up filters in excel on the original data without changing data at all, but if your goal is to ultimately import this to a DB any way. \

The question is weather it has to be imported a specific way or if we create whatever DB is needed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The CRM people say that as far as they are concerned as long as I can assign an "unique code" to each of the rows that are the same then that is all that is required."For example" if row numbers 31 to 37 are the same (that is that columns B and D (i.e., the business name and the business phone number are the same) - all we have to do is create a separate column in the spreadsheet for an unique identifier and in the case of my example above all we need to do is enter in this extra column (identifier column) say the numerial 1 (for rows 31 to 37).So could that be a formula for instance ? That is, something along the lines of "if B and D" = "B and D on the next row" then put 1 in column Z then the next formula would be an increment on the (Column Z) number 1 (i.e., in this case the numerial 2 ) etc. - or is there a better way to come up with this unique identifier for similar rows?

ok,

so now the question does each set get a unqiue number

for example if there are 5 rows with the same values, do they all get a 1, then the next 5 rows that are the same but with different values get a 2 and so on.

or does each row in the set get a value, so rows 31 to 37 get 1,2,3,4,5 and so on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is still about trying to solve the original problem we have but here the CRM people are saying we can solve that by adopting this as an approach:-That is :-"if there are 5 rows with the same values, do they all get a 1, then the next 5 rows that are the same but with different values get a 2 and so on" ............................"is the correct interpretaion" of what is being suggested here - if it was possible to do this ?(It isn't that the "5" rows will have the same values in "all" columns - in our case those "5" rpows wil have the same values in two specific columns).

yes i understand that.

but I don't think you answered my question of how you want the numbers to be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My apologies - sorry.Yes each set gets an unique number

so just to clarify

lets say the first 5 rows are the same in the 2 columns. Then each of those 5 rows would each get #1.

Then lest say next 3 rows have same in 2 columns. Then each of those 3 rows would get #2.

lets say next 8 rows are same in 2 columns. Then each of those 8 rows wold get #3.

And so on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
that is correct.

ok then given this criteria you will need a macro.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What is a macro?

this is a piece of programming code that I will write, it stays in your excel sheet and you activate it by pressing a button or going to a menu and running it. It is not automatic. Once you run it, it will add the numbers for you.

To work all of the data needs to be either in a single list, or atleast in the same workbook even on separate sheets.

I need to ask what version of excel you use?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2016 excel.Okay - what is next then?

well next I send you an additional service offer to cover the cost of this.

Then I need you to send a file. You can either put all the items in a single list, or each list in its own sheet on the same workbook.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Because the workbook would be so large (size wise) I would need to put that into your drop box I think rather than e-mail it - wouldn't I?If I put all this data into "one" spreadsheet - how many rows in a spreadsheet?By doing so would I be creating a problem in terms of the time it might take to actually open that one spreadsheet?And do I get to keep that macro so I can use again if ever I wanted to use it for something else?Await your advices.

yes, yes, and yes.

You can provide me with a dropbox link.

you can put each list on a separate sheet if you want, I believe each sheet goes to 1 million rows.

I am not sure how long it would take to run. But you may want to let it run overnight to be safe.

Yes you could use the macro over and over by copying and pasting new data in.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will get organised and come back to you then.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I spoke to one of my administration people who said that I need your name and your e-mail address in order to set up a file in dropbox for you to access (you will know better than I, if this is all I need).Please advise.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I paid the $215 as requested.

hey, no you do not need my information. Just set up your own account in Drop and one of the options is to share a link or share a file.

Then they give you a link to paste here.

Once I get the file I can get started

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am knocking my head against a brick wall here! My people are saying that "I need your name and your e-mail address" in order to set up a file in dropbox for you to access and you are saying not! The drop box has a lot of corporeate documentation involved so I can't progress that means of communication unless I can provide that information to them.So is there another way? Do "you" have a dropbox I can use then ? If so explain to me what to do please.Jeff

try

sendspace.com

ge.tt

all work the same way as drop box and you don't need any information. All you have to do is upload the file and then they give you a link which you will then provide to me.

Also other people have shared dropbox links with me without my needing to give them any info.

If worse comes to worse I will do a remote login to your computer and grab the file that way.

let me know.

Sooner I get the file sooner I could get started.

hi, did you try one of those other services.

I would like to get started on this for you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The sendspace.com - option you suggested has alimit of 10 GB.The single file you asked me to create with all this information in it is 16 GB.I have struggled to consolidate all this data into the one excel spreadsheet but have done so.There are a couple of things that need to be done to the "consolidated spreadsheet" before you commence your process and I can't get these done because the spreadsheet is too big. Can you do please?First looking at columns D and E;-In these two columns there are blank cells. I simply want to insert the following into each of those blank cells:-Column D :- 0900
Column E:- Unknown( I don't understand what all these columns' cells should be "formated" as ( Column D through to column P inclusive contain numbers often starting with a "zero" so that in order to retain and show the "zero" in question rather than format the cells as " a number" I have had to format as "text" cells.)So once you can insert Columns D and E blank cells with the 0900 and Unknown as requested we are ready to do the "macro" you have recommended.Note :- you may wish to delete Column A as we are not using that column at all (but I couldn't do that deletion becaues the spreadsheet is so large.Now I don't understand what I am doing here but hopefully this might help?I went into the dropbox. I started a folder called "4 IT Guy". It gave me this link (hopefully this is what you require?).4 IT GUY (file://GBS-104728/Users/Jeffery/Dropbox/4%20IT%20GUY)The spreadsheet in question is in there.Please confirm this works for you. This has been somewhat stressful at my end so hopefully I have got it right for this first project.Jeff

i'm not finding the file. Not sure if you completed the upload process or not.

The reason that it needed to be combined into one workbook is because it is 10 times easier than dealing with multiple workbooks.

Now the only option left to us is to set up a remote session where I will download the file directly from your computer and discuss how this will work with you.

Please download and install teamviewer

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

its a free remote share program, if they ask at some point say it is for personal use.

hold on, 16GB? that is one large file. You sure its not 16MB?

ok, we could do a remote share and Ill just program directly into your computer, this would make things way easier given the file sizes.

If possible can you send me a small sample file maybe 1000 rows or so. including the blanks in columns D and E as you suggested.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't know what I was thinking - yes 16 MB (not GB)!here is the link:-
Sendspace File Delivery Notification:You've got a file called Consolidated for IT Guy 1 The Final Copy .xlsx, (15.8 MB) waiting to be downloaded at sendspace.com (It was sent by Bracegirdle).You can use the following link to retrieve your file:https://www.sendspace.com/file/s3ye71

i got the file.

Ok so just for clarification

step 1.

we will insert for column D "0900" anywhere there is a blank cell

column E insert "Unknown" any blank cell.

Step 2.

I might as well leave column A since it is blank and we need a blank column in order to insert the numbers as requested.

Step 3.

Anywhere there are consecutive rows in both Column B and D. we will insert an incremental number in Column A for each set of consecutive columns B and D.

Is that pretty much it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not understand your statement:-"""Anywhere there are consecutive rows in both Column B and D. we will insert an incremental number in Column A for each set of consecutive columns B and D." ??""""(maybe that "confusion" has arisen as a result of the fact Column A (blank) now remains in the spreadsheet thus my expecation was that (with no column A) it would have been Columns B and D that we were dealing with but now with Column A remaining we are now talking "Columns C and E" instead).( my understanding is that "if there are rows where Columns C and E are the same in the spreadsheet" :- then the information on these rows will be consolidated as best as possible. "Column C" is the actual "name of the business" and "Column E" is the actual "business phone number 1" of that business). That means, that each column on these matching (matching by "Columns C and E") rows will be consolidated with the expectation on my part if there is alraedy a value in a particular column on a particular row then that will either remain as the value in that cell on the surviving row related to taht business or will be replaced by the incoming new value ( I have no preference as to which option you chose in that respect).

of so we compare column C and E then

does that bean that for step 1 as listed above

we will insert into columns E and F,

or will it sill be D and E?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Insert:- "0900" into Column D and "Unknown" into Column Ebut we are "comparing" Columns C and E. (business name and business phone number 1).

sending file back with code

this should be working now

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3q097k

I did a small test on about 10000 rows, and it took about 3 minutes, so you can do the math. It is about as efficient as I can make it now.

Also I had to add a sort feature into it, since we are comparing consecutive colums C and E I have the macro first sort by those columns when it runs.

To get it to run you have to do the following.

First you might get some kind of security warning when you first open the file some bar at the top of excel saying "enable content" or "enable macros" something to that effect, you have to do that or it will not run.

second on the menu click the "view" tab, one of the options on the menu bar will be macros,

goto that and goto view macros

this will give you a list of all the macros in the workbook t

in this case there is only one, "addnums"

select it from the list by higlighing it and click run

then check back in an hour or 2 and it should be done.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you insert the information v.i.z., 0900 and Unknown into all blank cells in Columns D and E respectively ?I have tried running your macro but it isn't working for me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it possible for you to run the macro ?

yes, 0900 and unknown were inserted.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is a screen shot of a part of the spreadsheet and I can't see the 0900's at all and don't understand the columns as shown but are you saying you can run this macro for me ?

did you rearrange your columns You said 900 in column D and unknown column E but your graphic shows the opposit

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I didn't rearrange anything in the spreadsheet you sent me.I just followed your instructions about macros.

ok, tell me exactly how you ran it , and how long it took to complete.

You rellize that if the circle is just spinning it is actually doing something even though it doesn't show anything on the screen.

well I ran it and was able to run without any problem

Here is your knew file

https://www.sendspace.com/file/h6o5vf

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please clarify:-When you say here is my "new File" - do you mean that in relation to the file in question - that "you have run the macro" and it has worked and the result is the file that you are now sending? That is, that file is the "finished file" with duplicates deleted and information consolidated?

duplicates were not deleted, all you asked for was to have numbers added in column A and some things added to columns D and E

that is all the macro did

And yes it is complete based on what you asked for

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the sequence of events at my end:- (by screenshot number)869 = I open spreadsheet and "Enable Editing" (you will see some of Column C is just "yellow")
870 = I then "Enable Content"
871 = the screen after I have Enabled Content (as above)
873 = the end rows of the spreadsheet (you will see taht Column C is not yellow. Actually the yellow colour disappears around about row 3400 odd)
874 = where I go to "View" on the top tool bar
875 = where I go to "macros"
876 = where I go to "view macros"
877 is where I "run" the macro
879 = where I push the tab "run"
880 = where taht little blue circle rotates resulting finally in a message "excel not responding" and I have to eventually close down.That is my sequence of events (can't understand the Column with 3400 rows all in blank yellow colour and why the "macro" - blue circle rotating ends up by producing excel not responding and thus nothing at all has happened).Don't know if taht helps explain what is happening or not or if I have done something wrong?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
WHAT ?????The task was to produce a result in this spreadsheet that would end up deleting duplicate rows (based upon identifying which rows were duplicates by comparing each row with the same values in both Column C and E) and before doing the deletion to consolidate and save the information on each row to be deleted and to place that on the row (applying to each individual case where C and E were the same) to be retained before the remaining duplicate rows were deleted.You said a "macro" (not really sure what a macro actually is) was all that was required to do this.If the "task" was simply to insert values into columns D and E where there were no values in those rows (i.e., put in "0900" and put in "unknown" even I could have done that by a simple sort and drag . The insertion of the values "0900" and " Unknown" was, as I understood it necessary for your macro to work - that is in the consolidate and delete duplicates task (which this whole project was about) you needed to be able to identiufy which rows were duplicates and I said to do that you would have to be able to compare rows using data in the cells in Columns "C" and "E" (business name and the actual phone number).I didn't say have numbers added in Column A - I suggested that Column A be deleted but you said you needed to retain Column A .Please tell me that we are on the same page here ???????

You said """"

The CRM people say that as far as they are concerned as long as I can assign an "unique code" to each of the rows that are the same then that is all that is required.

"For example" if row numbers 31 to 37 are the same (that is that columns B and D (i.e., the business name and the business phone number are the same) - all we have to do is create a separate column in the spreadsheet for an unique identifier and in the case of my example above all we need to do is enter in this extra column (identifier column) say the numerial 1 (for rows 31 to 37).

So could that be a formula for instance ? That is, something along the lines of "if B and D" = "B and D on the next row" then put 1 in column Z then the next formula would be an increment on the (Column Z) number 1 (i.e., in this case the numerial 2 ) etc. - or is there a better way to come up with this unique identifier for similar rows?

""""

Those are all your words.

again your words.

I confirmed this with you 3 times before starting and you confirmed it all 3 times.

So this is exactly what it does.

Then you wanted to add some info to the blank spaces in certain columns, I did that and it works fine.

As far as running, it maybe your computer is not powerful enough. I had no problem running it.

The latest file I sent you contains, the code in case you need it in the future. And I ran it for you so it is complete based on what was requested above from your RCM department.

in case you missed it here is the completed file again

https://www.sendspace.com/file/h6o5vf

delete any old copies of the file and download the new one which is complete. I don't think it could be any clearer than that.

So you should be all set based on what you told me you needed.

Sorry for any confusion.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unbelievable! I am far from "all set" - this is nothing remotely like what I set this asssignment out to be - I could go into huge depth here but clearly you have no idea what this project was about at all!

did you not say

"The CRM people say that as far as they are concerned as long as I can assign an "unique code" to each of the rows that are the same then that is all that is required."

What am I missing?

that is all that is required

your words

and it was confirmed 3 times by you, 3 times

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If you remotely think that this project was about "how to fill the cells in two columns on each row" (i.e., how to insert the values :- "0900" and "unknown" into this spreadsheet) I am speachless!!Let me tell you how anyone who knows very little about excel would do that :-Take the spreadsheet and in column A assign a number to the first two rows and then drag those two numbers down the page to you get to row 173,000 etc. (For future reference this actually gives you the current numerical sequence in which the rows are now)Then do a custom sort of column of Column E to identify the blanks or even simplier do afilter and again search for the blanks. Once you have all the blank cells showing for Column E on the spreadsheet just insert the word "unknown" (by dragging down that value to the 173,000 th row. Similarly do the same with Column D when it comes to inserting "0900"Then simply custom sort the whole spreadsheet by using the numerials in Column A.You cannot possibly think you could charge such fees for doing such a simplistic task and requiring me to consolidate 5 spreadsheets into 1 spredsheet so you can devise somesort of a "scientic macro" to do such a simple moronic task let alone think that anyone with the most basic knowledge using excel wouldn't know how to come up with such asimple process as I have outlined and need a "EXCEL EXPERT" to do the task you think you were engaged to do!This is so simplistic it defies logic and if you could do the task in question you should have said so from the outset. My outline of the original task was sufficiently explicit and I answered all your questions (many of which I felt the information was already supplied to you) . You are the "EXCEL EXPERT" - I am sure you expect your tasks to be something more than what you percieve to have been the content required - I could have got a school child to do what you thought the task was.Now don't waste your time or mine trying to debate this with me - that serves no useful purpose. I was clear what I required you to do and that was delete duplicates after the information on the rows which were to be deleted was consolidated onto the remaining row to be saved. Don't even go there! It has no credibility whatsoever. Just admit the task was beyond your capability because actually understanding what the task was in the first instance is clearly in itself beyond your capability. You can chose to hide your identity and credentials behind your "ITGUY " alias but I didn't need to do so myself.I am extremely disappointed that we are where we are now and angry that you could possibly think that you could charge a fee for the task you did let alone that you would think that the content of that task as you now perceive it would constitute a task to be referred to an "EXCEL EXPERT". It serves no useful purpose debating this - I need an" EXCEL EXPERT" who cannot only understand what is required but can actually deliver the results.