swmcdonnell
swmcdonnell, Microsoft Office Expert
Experience:  Steve uses Office and trains others in how to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
47680681

I am working with a workbook with multiple sheets supposedly

I am working with a workbook with multiple sheets supposedly with linked cells. The "=" formulas in the destination cells appear to be correct, but when I change data in a source cell, the change does not take place in the destination cell. I also want to copy multiple sheets and maintain the links, but it looks like the links are lost?

Can you upload a copy of the spreadsheet here so I can look at it? Or use the link below for a secure upload to a place that only I can view the spreadsheet, and I will delete it when we're done.

Spreadsheet Secure Upload

If you upload, you'll have to let me know you when it's there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I uploaded
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you find it?

Got it.

So can you give me an example of the problem you're having. When I open the spreadsheet, BTW, it tells me there are circular references in your formulas.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I make a change in a cell on the LD by Staff List 8-5-16. It doesn't show up in the cell on the LD by Fund 9-6-16 sheet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's as if the links are disabled?

You know that sometimes the LD by Fund is pulling from LD by Staff List 8-5-16 and sometimes it's pulling from LD by Staff 9-6-16

It works for me. If you change cell D6 in LD by Staff List 9-6-16, it updates in cell C10 on the LD by Fund tab.

I think the problem is that some of the formulas are referencing LD by Staff 8-5-16

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not know that. I got this project from another person in the department and don't know the history of her development. My goal is to recreate the LD 9-6-16 sheets and links and all the data and start 10-5-16 sheets. I just made a number of changes and need to update to today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just tried to make a change in D6 and there was no change in C10

Do you know why it sometimes pulls from 9-6-16 and sometimes from 8-5-16? The LD by Salary is the same way.

So you changed Cell D6 on LD by Staff List 9-6-16 and the LD by Fund 9-6-16 did not change in cell C10? What's the value in C10?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I entered 77 in D6 and the value in C10 is 70

Ok, to to the LD by Fund 9-6-16 tab, click Formulas from the menu and then click Show Formulas on the ribbon bar.

Then select Calculation Options from the ribbon bar and tell me what it's set to.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think the reason she used two source sheets was to be able to track the changes by date.OK I have the formulas showing.

What is the calculation options setting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Manual

Ok that's your problem. Change it to Automatic and things will calculate. If you want to leave it on Manual, press F9 for the cells to update.

If I've answered your question and resolved your issue, can you please accept the answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for helping you unless you accept the answer. If not, please chat me back and I'll get you the information you need to resolve your issue. Thanks and have a great day!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why would that be set to manual?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I copy the 9-6-16 tabs so that I maintain the links to all the source cells?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do I go back to the data instead of the formulas?

Click the button again to go back to the data

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I reset C10 to manual and pressed F9 and there was no change

The formulas will automatically copy when you duplicate a tab.

I don't know why it would be set to manual. Choose Calculate Now from the ribbon bar and see if it changes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes, can you not see my responses?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What button? Calculate now did nothing. we may have to go to securely connect to get this accomplished?

We might if it's not changing for you, because it works fine on my end with the spreadsheet you uploaded to me.

The Show Formulas button. It's in yellow when selected and is showing the formulas. Click it a second time to show the data (that's a response to your "What button?" question)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I am back to data and it looks like the links are working. I will try and copy. Here's what I think. When changes were made to the source sheet at a given time, the cells were linked. When a new sheet is created only the cells that are changed get linked to the new sheet. So if you look at any given cell you can track it back to the sheet dated with the change. Let me try to copy the 9-6-16 sheets.

OK

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The copy process seems to have worked. Will all the cells be set to automatic or do I need to do that cell by cell?

No, it's a setting for the entire sheet. But you might need to change it individually on each sheet.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK it looks like everything is functional! Thank you for your patience. I'll rate and submit above.

Thank you.Please don't forget to accept the answer. Have a great day!

Hi there. Just a reminder. Can you please accept the answer to the question or I don't get paid anything for helping you. Thanks!