bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

I restored a Mac with time Machine. All work but not office

Customer Question

I restored a Mac with time Machine. All work but not office 365 for Mac. I have the message "your office database is missing and needs to be rebuilt. This is usually caused by restoring an identity with Time Machine". I rebuilt it and used this identity. However I then got a message saying that outlook cannot repair the database. If I then choose rebuilt, I lose all messages. Help is warmly welcome
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I a
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I am using Mc book pro with OS Yosemite 10.10.5. I have instally an update of TotalFinder with did not work, this is why I reinstalled from Time Machine before the update
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think it is fine with this info Thank you
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Bing. Thank you
Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

Please bear with me for a few mins as I need to check Microsoft KB against your issue.

Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

Please the steps to rebuild the identity from the following MS official document. Ignore the "Entourage 2008 for Mac and Entourage for Mac 2004" in the title, it doesn't matter as a reference for your case. I am not asking you to do the given steps, just need to review and let me know if you have done any the same step there.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/268322

Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

> If I then choose rebuilt, I lose all messages.

How does your Outlook access the mail server, via IMAP or not?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not rebuilt the database. I only checked it with microsoft database daemon.
I use IMAP but all the 'sent items' were on my computer, no on a server
Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

> I have not rebuilt the database.

Please clarify, you mean you have not "rebuilt the identity" or "repaired the Outlook database"?

> I use IMAP but all the 'sent items' were on my computer, no on a server

That's interesting. Commonly the Sent fold should be also synced. You did that on purpose or not?

Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

FYI - See below how Microsoft says about it. Please read it for your practice in the futhre.

About Time Machine backups and Outlook

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/About-Time-Machine-backups-and-Outlook-7ba7a6b1-e33a-41b2-b3df-2519e2997439

Expert:  bbao replied 9 months ago.

> I have not rebuilt the database. I only checked it with microsoft database daemon.

I just successful restored previous previous Outlook data including emails in all folders on my Mac. Basically all your previous Office files were located at:

~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 20xx Identities/your identity

You may copy your previous Identity folder and subfolders here but do NOT overwrite the existing Identity folder, otherwise it will cause inconsistant data across the whole settings.

After switching your Outlook identity, you can export all previous Outlook files to an OLM file then import back to to the existing Identity if required.

You may choose to sync Sent folder to keep a copy on the server as well, the setting is located at Preferences > Accounts > (your account) > Advanced > Folders.