NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

How do I create a list from other cells in excell

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

There are several ways, depending upon how the list you want is to behave, what it is to come from (column, row, or range of cells), etc. Let me know more, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wanting it to create a list of names depending on what the cell value is for a certain column
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The cell value for a certain column... please explain a bit more, that is unclear to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cell value for a certain row.
ie i created a sign up sheet that people can sign up to work certain multiple days at multiple times. I want it give me a list of names depending on if there is a response in that row. the name would need to be pulled from a different cell within that row
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

So:

- if (1) an entry in a certain row

- then a list generated

- according to a name in a different cell in the same row as (1) ?

That's all I understand so far. Where would you need the list to go, on the same sheet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so if you see on this screenshot. the person on row 8 from column n the person has a 1 in v8 I want to then take the names listed in B8 and C8( depending on row number) column would be fixed
I want it to go to another excel document
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for each day and time slot I want a list of names
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like so but I want it to autopopulate
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for posting those! I will examine then in the next 10 or 15 minutes, and then post any questions I have, or my expected time to complete the task, or other message as appropriate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Nice screenshots. But the referents were unclear, since I cannot tell what row or what column you are referencing - the screenshots lack the A-B-C-D col. designations and the

1

2

3

4

etc. row designations.

So you want, for the '1' someone puts in a certain row in their column, to populate the list with a list of names in that same row... ? just guessing.

And to go to another Excel document? in that case, I cannot do this task, I'm sorry to say. That's a sort of work I don't do... yet.

With apologies, I have Opted Out, opening this case to other Experts in this category. Thank you for following the process thus far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jennifer,

Could you please attach a sample document here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't it has personal information of other people. But I was able to get a friend to help me . But now I need to know how to remove multiple empty cells in a column when using a formula that pulls information from another sheet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
=IF('2016-2017 Parent Volunteer List'!AF7 = 1,'2016-2017 Parent Volunteer List'!$C7,"")Here's a copy of the formula I got that made the list now I just need it to how have it only write a name if there's a 1 and skip if theres not