NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I have been using Office Pro for 10 years and implemented applications for business use.
53509759

My older 2007 stencils are not being seen in My Shapes on my

Customer Question

My older 2007 stencils are not being seen in My Shapes on my new 2016 Pro version?
Also, I can't seem to get my old "Line shapes" to be recognized when I bring and older file into the new format.
Help...
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Hi There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

As far as you know or remember, are those OLD stencil files on the same computer where the Visio 2016 is installed? Or, are they still available at somewhere like your old PCs or your backup USB drives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put them there, saw the files transfer but I cannot see them in the folder...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Shapes folder
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you are sure they are on the computer, you may search them using Windows Explorer. If you don't know how to do that, please advise your Windows version, I can show you what to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's Windows 10 Pro
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

> My Shapes folder

If you can't see them in the default My Shapes folder under your Documents folder, they should be somewhere else say if you made a mistake when copying them back to the PC... Try search using any keyword you know as far as you remember.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why are the Q&A going to my phone and not my computer?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

For Windows 10, it should be much easier, just type any filename you remember in Windows 10's search field, at where you normally can see "I'm Cortana. Ask me anything".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** to the $37 and that's it...
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

> Why are the Q&A going to my phone and not my computer?

Sorry, I am not sure what Q&A you are referring to. Can you please clarify a bit more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
$37.00 if I get this fixed...
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

> No thanks, ***** ***** to the $37 and that's it..

I am wondering you see something strange on your side, if yes, just ignore it. I am here to help you get it fixed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I might have inadvertently hid my files in that folder?
Show my how to un-hide them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Q&A, questions and answers...it seems to be working on my computer now.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Please ignore the system messages if any. In recent two days, I was discussing with JustAnswer Expert Help Centre regarding the errors... Just ignore them.

Okay, If you really worry about some hidden shape files, I may show your the most powerful way to find out all of them on your computer, if they are there. It needs to use command line. Are you familiar with Command Prompt window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping for a right click type fix or just an un-do of what I did etc...
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

> just an un-do of what I did

What did you do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under "My Shape Properties" General tab, Attributes there's a hidden check box that's was checked, I unchecked it and now its grayed out and unchecked and I can't re-check it???
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Please better show me screenshot about it.

BTW, I am making a screenshot to tell you how to find ALL .vss files on your computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Screen shot I just took won't paste into this part?
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Please press Windows+R key and input CMD to open a Command Prompt window, then type DIR C:\*.VSS /A/S/P to list all VSS files on your computer. Read the result carefully, it could be a long list.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the files are there...in the property sheet is shows that the folder is 435 MB, but only one small "favorites" file can be seen...something is being hidden.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

> in the property sheet is shows that the folder is 435 MB, but only one small "favorites" file can be seen

mmm... I guess I really need to see your screenshot. You may click the clip icon above the chat window to attach it here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the only clip icon visible on this screen is the one you sent me...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, I'm communicating on another computer than the one I'm having issue with...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but this is not happening, I need to get to work. Please do not bill me as I am not satisfied. (not your fault)
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Any update please? Don't worry about it, if necessary I can do remote assistance to make sure you get things done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Thanks, we're done...I have to go to work.
Expert:  jinsmn replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Do you need assistance on this matter ? If so, can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins