Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I saved over a file on word and I need the previous file

Customer Question
back JA: Just to clarify, what's...
I saved over a file on word and I need the previous file back
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: MacBook Pro let me see
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: el capitan yes I had yosemite when I saved over the file
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't think so. And I think I have office 16 version 15.20
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
9/21/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: bbao, IT Consultant replied 1 year ago
bbao
bbao, IT Consultant

Hi There, This is Bing, I am reviewing your question.

Microsoft Office Technician: caraleneK, Office Engineer replied 1 year ago
caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you.If you like i can log on to your machine and help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wouldn't feel comfortable with that
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just need steps of what to do to recover an unsaved file that I saved a word document over.

Thanks for your feedback..

Do not worry, if your auto save is on then you can find the last version in your library just follow the steps go to the path and see if you can see the document

/Users/"your user name"/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Office AutoRecovery

Waiting your feedback

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's no users/"your user name"... option on my computer. I have a MacBook Pro version 15.20 OS X El Capitan

Thanks for your feedback. Please running the following command from the terminal from the home directory.

find * -iname 'autorec*'

1. find is a tool for performing file searches recursively down directories
  2. * searches all files
  3. -iname means the command that follows is case insensitive
  4. autorec* means a file beginning with autorec followed by any other characters.

waiting your feedback

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No results

Thanks do you run time machine on you machine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wasn't running time machine at the time I saved over the document.

Thanks Please look at this steps for me .

Open the document, then choose File > Revert To > Browse All Versions. > Click tick marks along the timeline to browse versions.> Display the version you want, then do one of the following:>To restore your document to this version, click Restore.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
34;Revert To" isn't an option under "File"

have you browse all versions to see if you pickup your document ?? Yes you use the revert under files

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no option under "File" to choose "Revert To" nor "Browse All Versions". I don't see any options to see a timeline of documents.

Thanks pick time line and see if you see the document for the timeline you looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think you understand. These options are not available on my computer.

Thanks ...please see if this will work for you ?? Open your file (the one that has been overwritten). Click on the “File” tab at the top of the Microsoft Word tool bar. Click “Info” > “Versions” and select your desired version. Click the “Restore” button at the top of the document.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This options are also not available on my computer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This was not helpful. I will not continue with services
caraleneK
caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer