bbao
bbao, IT Consultant
Experience:  CISM / CISSP / MCSD - Azure Solutions Architect / MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure / MS MVP
96068672

Can you tell me how to configure pine to use Office 365?

Customer Question

Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Pine, as I understand it, means a freeware email reader/sending application.

Using it with Office 365, would mean what exactly? sending Office documents via PINE email ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry - I should have given you more information. I realize that I really didn't give you much to work from. My apologies.Pine is actually technically called Alpine now. It is a mail reader for UNIX. Here is a page with some additional information: http://www.washington.edu/alpine/faq/config.htmlI am trying to configure it to read IMAP email that is hosted through Office 365.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure I can help you. 'Hosting' email through Office applications is alien to my acquaintance, I'm sorry to say. With apologies, I have Opted Out - not cutting off communication, just opening the case to other Experts, one of which might be better suited to this case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your honesty. Sorry you weren't able to help. I don't know if this helps you but this is what the Office 365 solution is that I'm talking about: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans, press Email.
Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Hello There. I am Bing and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

I just had a quick review against the conversation above, and in my understanding you are trying to configure an aged (Pine's last release was in 2005) email client to access mail services of Office 365 in the cloud. Am I correct?

Expert:  bbao replied 1 year ago.

Any feedback please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is an example of how to use Pine/alpine with IMAP Gmail: https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~csadmin/wiki/index.php/Setting_up_Pine_%28Alpine%29_for_IMAP_Gmail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose it could be considered an aged UNIX email client. It is not commercially maintained. It's open source and coded by volunteers. And yes, I am trying to access Office 365 email in the cloud. Thank you very much.
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

Okay, got it. Thanks.

Is it convenient for you if I use the given screenshots and post them back with changes accordingly? You then try it from your side. If anything does not work that way, let's do a remote session and let me see your screen for further troubleshooting?

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

Please also advise what kind of email account of O365 do you have? For business or personal use?

In other words, is the email address using your own domain name? If yes, what's the domain name? I am asking this because the setup needs specific FQDN or IP for your domain's mail server hosted in the cloud.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
screenshots would work, thanks. The account is for a university O365. I will attach a file with the domain name.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Attached
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

Are you sure your domain name got any mail services running in MS cloud? The only registered mail server under the domain name is ***** ***** your campus, not with O365. A comprehensive port scan against the hosts found from your domain confirmed this.

Did you try using Outlook (2013 or 2016) to configure and use your O365 mailbox? Successful?

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

> In other words, is the email address using your own domain name?

> If yes, what's the domain name?

Probably I need to clarify: the domain name requested is for your email services with O365, not the one of your organisation. Sorry if I made you misunderstood.

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

The configuration of Pine (Alpine) for O365 mail is almost done, only one mail server address needs to be determined depending on your subscription of O365. As mentioned above, the information that you provided was insufficient to locate your O365 services.

Please see below attached the modified screenshots for detail configuration. Any text in RED is what you need to input and give (your email address). Text in GREEN is something that should be displayed automatically once properly configured. Text in ORANGE is the setting to be determined once additional info is provided from you.

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

one more screenshot.

Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.

Okay, found that host name! see the new screenshot to replace the previous one.

Please test.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks! I will test today and let you know. Much appreciated
Expert:  bbao replied 12 months ago.
No worries. I am looking forward to hearing from your soon.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Tested?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I apologize that I haven't had time to check this. I will do it tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Hello there, it has been a long while after I submitted the proposed answer. Can I have your feedback please? Thanks.

Expert:  bbao replied 11 months ago.

Hi There again. Have you got a chance to test the proposed configuration please?