Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

Ok so in column A I have different variables but with the

Customer Question
same formula. I.e. A1...
Ok so in column A I have different variables but with the same formula. I.e. A1 is 1.5*1000/29.57/1.5 , A2 is .7*1000/29.57/1.5 how do I create a formula for the entire column but with changing the cell value? Also my second column, B cells could be a positive or negative but I need column B cells to get a total between Acells and B cells for column C cells how can I create a formula for C? I.E. Column B1 is -.5 but B2 is +.8. Help an old lady please...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
7/11/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast replied 1 year ago
Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast

I think I can help you. Give me a minute to post a sample excel file.

So I may or may not have understood your post correctly, which is why I work in revisions. But we will start here. So If I put 1.5 in A2 and .7 in A3, I can enter a formula in B2 that reads "=A2*1000/29.57/1.5". If I copy that formula into B3 it automatically shifts the reference to A3, "=A2*1000/29.57/1.5". So you can put your A values that change down column A and copy and paste the formulas in B to get the output.

To sum numbers you can enter "=A2+C2", which I did in D2. I think that is what you meant by total between A cells and B cells. Look at the attached Excel file and let me know how close it is, or not close.

Ask questions as you have them, and let me know what I missed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm self taught and I still am not understanding...sorry please literally step by step please

So to enter a formula for excel to calculate, you start with an equal sign. So to add 1+2 you would type =1+2. When you hit enter, excel will calculate the cell and the cell will show 3, but if you click on the cell, you can edit the formula =1+2.

so if you want to be able to change values, you put the value you want in a cell. So if I type =A1+1 in cell B1, whatever value is in cell A1, cell B1 will calculate to be 1 greater.

In your case you have a formula, value*1000/29.57/1.5. So You would put the values you are changing in other cells, like column A, so A1 is 1.5, A2 is .7. B1 then takes the formula =A1*1000/29.57/1.5. So with Excel if you copy and paste a formula, it will maintain relative references, so in this case, reference the cell one to left. Anywhere I copy this formula it will change A1 to the cell one left (so if I copy the formula in B1 and paste in D2, it becomes =C2*1000/29.57/1.5). So what you can do is type your values in column A and then copy the same formula down column B, you do not need to retype it for each cell.

Does that clarify what I did in the spreadsheet?

Let me know where you are lost.

Zabo04
Zabo04
Zabo04, Computer Enthusiast