Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I am updating an old spreadsheet with new data. There are

Customer Question
I am updating an old...
I am updating an old spreadsheet with new data. There are chart text labels that refer back to static cells. The old spreadsheet referenced text with footnotes. The superscript footnote notations showed up perfectly. When I update the text with new footnotes, the superscript does not pull through, and I'm seeing footnotes in normal font. This is a bafflement. Oh -- when I paste the "old" labels into the referenced cells, the footnotes show up as superscript again. Yes -- a total bafflement.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
7/5/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 1 year ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

when you copy and paste

try pasting special with the option "use source theme" or something to that equivalent. That usually maintains the formatting.

let me know how you make out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know if you have any questions, problems, or concerns

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO RATE SO I AM PAID FOR MY TIME

IT WILL NOT COST ANYTHING ADDITIONAL BEYOND THE VALUE OF YOUR QUESTION

TO RATE, CLICK THE STARS AT THE TOP OF YOUR SCREEN

Do not rate negatively, instead continue the conversation with me so I can address any of your concerns

if you have any questions in the future you can visit my profile

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-1expert-2rulethemall/

and ask a question right in my box,

also you can put "PC Guy only" in your question title if you want to get to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope. That didn't do it. It also eliminated the reference formulas that I absolutely need. This is text & variable numeric content that varies based on arrays.

if you want to send an example sheet, I will be happy to take a look. Formatting issues are often tricky in office aps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure! Page one is the page I'm updating. (Media Usage). Page 2 is last year's version -- when even then, when I updated I couldn't get NEW footnote numbers to show so I changed the symbol. This was not originally my spreadsheet (it came from my client). The macros have been disabled forever. The text in the chart references column X. Column X references the data in the given dropdown after the label from column s (which is normally invisible -- but I gave it a font color so you could see it). You'll see the theme is fine in S. Not so much in X. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

is the problem you are having with the formatting in columns S, Column X or in the chart itself. I am not following.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, it's column X, that's not showing the numbers in superscript -- and most importantly, the labels in the chart are pulling from column X and THEY'RE not showing the footnote superscript. THe only place it's crucial is, indeed, the chart text.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also - I'm preparing this for my client, who will be generating charts for each version of the data. I would have set this up differently, but that's just me. This is what he wants.

i see you are using text boxes with a formula to refer back to a cell value.

you said this was working previously

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Look on the second page I sent you. Working just fine. Yup. This is a puzzlement, no?

you got me stumped, and I know excel pretty well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yup. So do we. This is a head scratcher.

the only thing I can think of is to create a macro that physically copies from one sheet to the text boxes on the other and applies the formatting and percentage calculation as it does it. Or we populate 2 text boxes per line 1 for percentage we are adding and one for the formatted text.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's going to get squedgy when we re-sort the rows. The spacing is going to be off, etc. I'd like to talk them into upgrading their Excel so that they can just use the built in pyramid charts ... but ... you know ... clients! Thanks anyway.

i haven't seen the builtin charts, but from a macro stand point if it goes through row by row, I am not sure how sorting it would effect that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was thinking about the 2 text boxes. These guys have trouble enough just creating the new charts. I don't want to add macros to their lives. I'll figure out something. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and ask a question right in my box,

The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager