Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I am working on a Mac and have saved a document over a book

Customer Question
manuscript I have been working...
I am working on a Mac and have saved a document over a book manuscript I have been working on for 2.5 years and want to know if it is possible to revert to a previous version.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It's a MacBook Air and I'm using Yosemite
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I googled the problem and rang Microsoft. Some sites recommended using the 'revert to' in the file menu but I don't have this. I have also tried going through preferences to the 'save' tab but there are no files there. I looked in trash for recovered files and recents for previous copies
JA: The Microsoft Office expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Is there a cost involved
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Microsoft Office Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: What are the technician's rates?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer replied 1 year ago
Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi

Give me a moment. I will get back to you with possible solution of it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Have you setup a time machine application in your machine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not that I know of - how can I check

choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Time Machine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've looked and I don't think it is set-up as it says I haven't selected a location for back ups

ok. Let me see why "revert to" option is not available. Did you check if this option is available in other applications/software like Text editor etc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got the impression it wasn't available on Mac from Microsoft- sorry, haven't used text editor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bhavik, it is almost midnight here in Sydney - can I pick our conversation up in the morning?

Sure ,No problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks - if u find anything message me here and I will try it when I get up. Thanks for ur help so fat

Alright , Just one thing which all editor(s) you are using ?

except manuscript

Please follow the instruction of below document

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try this but the files were not lost - I saved something else over the top of it by mistake. I will try this tonight and let you know what happens - thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I put in this URLs it says I am not connected to the Internet but I can open any other web page in Safari- what does that mean?

Please try to open your document in some other editor like microsoft word etc and see if you are able to see "Revert To" option under file menu.

Even after trying that you are not able to see then the reasons could be, You might have created your file in different mac and trying to restore it to previous on new mac machine.

Also check if , you have not checked the checkbox of "Ask to keep changes when closing documents", which disables the version tracking or Auto Save option.

1. Open “System Preferences” from the  Apple menu and click the “General” pane
  2. Uncheck the box next to “Ask to keep changes when closing documents”
  3. Close out of System Preferences
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have run the ease software and checked all the drives but it only finds existing versions not previous ones.
There is no 'revert to' in Windows for Mac
The tick box in the General tab is already unticked.
Any other suggestions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm using the same MacBook Air I have been working on all week.

Please check if these options are enabled

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, options 1 & 3 are already ticked - I don't have the second option.
It has been a while now and I am doubtful we can retrieve the file anymore.
Maureen

Yes, It seems to be difficult to retrieve it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Behaviour, thank you for trying so hard to resolve this issue but I am going to request a refund now. Can you do this on my behalf or do I need to request it?
Thank you
Maureen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, that should have said Bhavik!
NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast