flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

Publisher 2010 error(###) ###-#### ***** can no open file.

Customer Question

Publisher 2010 error(###) ###-#### ***** can no open file. Please help!
Category: Microsoft Office
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And no backup anywhere! No previous versions, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
running on windows 10
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am the person that will be helping you today. May I take a look at the document? Please, be forewarned that the site is not secure:- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com- Upload the file to that website- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.- Please, give me that "File ID Number" I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok working on it
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it won't let me for some reason. Is it my firewall?
That may be the case. Try uploading it to the page by clicking the Paperclip icon on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
says file is too large...uggh!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
75 mb
Thank you for the update. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mk7qfqw3x0x5p7p/banquet%20book%204.pub?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here's a link to the pub
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will this work?
Thank you
I have it downloaded. I will respond soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks!!!!
Hello and thank you for your patience, The file is rather corrupt. You can use the application found on the following page to recover the file and it's contents. The problem is that the file is corrupt. The application that I mentioned will decode the file, gather the contents, and then re-encode it for you.Software to Recover the Publisher file: http://www.nucleustechnologies.com/Buy-Publisher-Recovery.php I look forward to hearing your feedback concerning whether or not your problem is fixed.I hope to hear back that all is working. If this is so, please do not forget to rate my help on the top of this page (choose the number of stars and click the Submit button). If it is not, please respond below.I will be standing by,Jason If you wish to work with me in the future for new problems, you can request to work with me either by posting the question on my profile page or by prefacing your question with, "For ***** ***** Only!"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that. Doesn't work
You tried what? I tested it with their problem and I was able to recover a few pages with the free version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the free version and only got a few pictures. Its a 25 page document with pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the paid version work better?
The paid version is said to work better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought the paid version only lets you save what you opened on the free version?
That is not how I understood it. Do you want to try another option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please. I looked at the website again and it says the free and the paid are the same except for the save option
I have tested a few other recovery applications and they were not able to recover anything. The file may be unrecoverable. You stated that you did check for previous versions, but found none, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none. for some reason, windows 10 makes it a pain to keep older versions of documents. It only want to do it on a separate drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I just get the text out of it?
Just to be clear, how exactly did you attempt to recover a previous version? - Right click the problem file and choose Properties- Click the Previous Versions tab- Choose the date and time that you wish to recover from.- Click the Recover button and save it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep did that. No previous versons
I am sorry, but there is not much else that can be done. If the recovery applications cannot fix the file, there is not much else that can be done.I have run out of ideas.For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.Thank you for your patience. - Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thx
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I am an independent technology expert who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. Quick question: did you already have your file saved to Dropbox before you shared it with ***** *****? The reason I ask is that Dropbox provides free file versioning going back 1 month (and 1 year with their paid "extended file recovery" option), so it *may* be possible to restore an earlier version of the file through Dropbox if it was only recently corrupted. To do it:Sign in to dropbox.com.Right-click the file and select Previous versions.Alternatively, you can click the white space beside your file's name to highlight it, and then click More to reveal thePrevious versions option.If you've deleted the file by accident, you'll need to first click the trash can icon to see all deleted files, right-click the file, and select Restore… In the pop-up window that appears, click View other versions.Find the version of the file you'd like to revert to.Select the button to the left of the version and click the Restore button.Please give that a shot and let me know if you have any success. I'll download your file in the meantime and see if there's anything else I can do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yep. No previous versions. Only saved to drop box to share with Jason.
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.
Bummer! Okay, I'll try some other things and see if I have any luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I haven't had an ounce of luck. I apologize...I had gone into this confident I could help. I don't know if anyone else will have more luck than I did, but I'm going to bow out so that someone else might take a crack at helping you. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.
how old is the document ?if it predates your upgrade to windows 10 than there may be a chance to get it from the section of the drive that windows keeps to allow you to go back to an older version of windows.