Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I downloaded FFV trying to open a file I needed tax

Customer Question

I downloaded FFV trying to open a file I needed for my tax return. It didn't work so I deleted the program and the desktop icon. But now all my word and excel files show up with the FFV extension. The excel files will eventually open but the word files just spin and never open. How do I get rid of FFV and back to the original doc and excel files?
JA: I love the irony of this stuff being called a productivity tool, lol. I'll hook you up with the Microsoft Office Technician who will get you productive again. Is there anything else important you think the Microsoft Office Technician should know?
Customer: No this is my only issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Microsoft Office Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac. If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows. Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HP Laptop with Windows 7
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I tried to accept your remote support request, it said payment failed. I am sending the offer back to you so you can click it and approve it.. Once that offer is accepted or rejected, we can continue. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got several texts saying the charge went through.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
It shows payment failure on my end. Did you try clicking the offer I sent you and seeing if you could accepted it? Had the charge went through, the status on my end would change..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked Accept My Offer and got another text from Bank of America that I had been charged again for $26.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Its not my intention to be difficult.. But thats not what I see from my end and wouldnt want you to be charged multiple times. Do you have a moment you could call customer service and ask them to verify whats happened as far as charges / payments? US/Canada1.***-***-****Available 6am to 9pm PST International Australia1800-679-634New Zealand0800-452-621United Kingdom0***-***-****The rest of the world1-***-***-****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just told BofA to accept the charges for $5, $32 and $26. They replied that card was good. Let's try again
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ive sent the offer to you again.. Could you try to accept it once more. If it turns out that you get charged more then the initial and premium service charge, we will immediately submit for a refund
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've done everything on this end. Bank of America is charging my credit card. What's going on at your end?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Did you click the premium service offer Ive sent you, and accept that offer? If so, when was the last time you did so?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll click the premium service one last time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result. I'm now contacting the bank fraud dept. Please reverse any and all charges that eventually show up at your end.
I'm sorry you weren't able to help. It looked like my problem was common and you knew how to fix it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
This may be something I could walk you through via written support, we did get a bit sidetracked when the remote support request came in. If you dont want to continue, Id understand. If you do want to continue via written support.. Let me know~
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let's try the written support.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
All right.. You stated you was using windows 7. Heres what we need to do. Right click an excel file, click open with, then click choose default program, then click excel. make su re to click the check box at the button to always use excel to open the file. then click ok Now, find a word document, one made with microsoft word. Right click, open with, then click select default program, choose word.. Click apply This link will show you the process http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12196-open-change-default-program.html That should fix the issue, though we may need to run a repair on your office program itself. If we do get the issue fixed, lets focus on the file you were trying to open for your tax return next.. What is the extension for that file? Such as xls .txt .pdf etc ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the doc file opened but when I save as a doc file it still goes back to a FFV file.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Lets focus on the excel and word documents first.. Were you able to get those fixed by setting the default programs as I suggested? If so, then lets discuss the tax return file you are trying to open. If you ri ght click the file and go to properties.. What extension does the file have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In properties it shows as file type FFV files (xlsx)
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, for that specific FFV file.. Can you right click the file, choose open with > excel. What happens then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
excel doesn't show up as a choice.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
how about if we start with excel open.And then inside excel click file, click open, and t hen point it at the tax file you are trying to open.. can excel open it that way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but when it closes it goes back to a FFV file
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Ok, So you need to right click the file, click open with, click browse, choose excel, and then select always open with excel ( the checkbox at thebottom ) then click ok. That way it will keep opening with excel~ I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried that but when I browse excel doesn't show up as one of the choices.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You may have to use browse, and go into your computer and find the actual excel.exe application and choose it that way. If you right click on your excel icon or shortcut on your desktop and then click properties, it should show you the exact file location.. You can then use that file location in the open with > browse window!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I want is to have the files saved as doc or excel files after I opened them so I can share them with other people correctly but even when I Save As they go back to FFV files.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If you use excel, and then click file open and open the file. When you select save as, you should be able to choose the type of file it saves as, give it a new name. And then you will have a shareable excel file that would open naturally on anyone elses computer that had excel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that but it still doesn't work. Thanks for all your efforts.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
But you can open it in excel, correct? You could try copying all the data to a new workbook ( file ) , and then saving the new file as an excel file.. That will definitely do the trick. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Move-or-copy-a-worksheet-a8cd102d-a5c5-4779-a48e-3d5f36553091?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US&fromAR=1#bm2 Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I havent heard back from you in a few days.. Did you still need help with this issue? Thank you for your response! Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I still need help, the problem is not yet solved. The work around you suggested does open the files but even after I save as.. a doc or xlsx file the next time I open them FFV takes over again. I want to have all word docs show up as ...doc and all excel files to show up as ..xlsx and stay that way.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it might beneficial to try the remote support option once more? That way I could connect and fix the issue for you. Dustin S.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I havent heard back from you since the 19th. Did you still need help with this issue? Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need help. Are you available Monday morning?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
From 10 am EST time till Midnight on monday, I will be available. Dustin S.