Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I was building a nice presentation after importing data .csv

Customer Question
into Excel. i saved often and...
i was building a nice presentation after importing data .csv into Excel.
i saved often and a dialog box asked do you really want to save .csv and I said yes.
after several hours of tables and pivot charts i add a couple of short and simple macros e.g. to add two spaces and shift the cells in the column down two spaces. i called this very simple Macro1 and used clt+shift+a=shortcut.
I was half way thru a 20-line adjustment and the whole workbook crashed with NO recognizable previously saved version.
I am in the unenviable position of neither knowing what happened nor why it happened.
I have done some consultant work in Excel and VBA. I would have died if this was a bigger project. Inquiring minds want to know. Is it excel? Is it the .csv data? Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
3/8/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi Cap, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues.

1. Are you using Excel 2007, 2010 or 2013?
  2. Are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 or a Mac?
  3. Is the file that you are working on that crashed -- a CSV file? Also, is it in that file that you added charts and macro?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
office 365 home
wind 10pro
.csv saved in an excel spreadsheet, with a total of 3 small (15cols x25 rows) +1 large data worksheets (25 x 200) within a workbook
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
64bit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i see the name might have been MAIN CONTRACTORS.csv
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have never seen that before after 3+ hours of culling the right data for presentation working thru the night it was looking pretty colorful and intelligent

Cap,

Thank you for writing back with that information. So the affected file here, the one with lost data, is the .CSV file, correct? So in the CSV file, you added charts and macros and when Excel crashed, those data you added to the CSV file was lost.

Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that i added a little macro to make inserting two cells and moving spaces within 2 columns in 10 slots called macro1.no need to connect. after i used the short-cut ctrl+shift+a that i had assigned the worksheet blinked about 20 times in rapid succession and it was totally gone plus all of my saves
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is totally gone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
even the name i gave it was Main Contractors
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gone
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have never seen that before
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have been using excel since it was called Lotus 1-2-3

Thank you for writing back with that information.

Based on your described scenario, the problem was with Excel -- but it is caused by the CSV file that you choose to work with.

Please let me explain.

The CSV data type is a comma delimited type of data, and it cannot hold most of Excel formatting, embedded objects like charts, and especially macro. For Excel to SAVE the macro in the file, you need to choose the file type called Macro Enable Workbook with XLSM extension.

Thus, based on your scenario, Excel could have frozen after several saving attempts of the CSV file while eliminating those unsupported objects like charts, marcos and other formatting.

If you try to create a simple CSV file containing names, and then re-open it in Excel and try to change the formatting, like making rows higher or columns wider, when you choose to save it as a CSV, after closig and opening the file again, those formatting will be lost since they are NOT SAVED along with the CSV.

Therefore, to answer your question, the objects are missing when Excel crashed because the file is a CSV file. Those information (formatting and objects like charts and macros) are eliminated during the saving process.

And your Excel could have crashed due to the nature of data you added to the CSV file.

Unfortunately, since the original file is a CSV file, no formatting and additional embedded data will be saved with it. Therefore, if you go to the AutoRecovery folder location to locate earlier saved versions of the file, you will still get the plain CSV data, no charts, no macros.

If you want to save charts in your Excel file, you need to use the regular XLS or XLSX file format. And if you want to save a macro along with the Excel file, it will be an Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook with a file extension of .XLSM.

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist