Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I want an easy way to extract date from a ski race. We have…

Customer Question
I want an easy way...
I want an easy way to extract date from a ski race. We have formed a fun team event. There are 5 athletes per team. I want to know which team has the lowest combined time from their top 3 racers to award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the team event. Each top 3 must have at least one athlete per gender. So for instance, if a team's top 3 times are all boys, then I need to calculate the result based on the top 2 boys and top girl on the team, and vice versa. There will be 250 athletes and 50 teams.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
2/29/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager replied 2 years ago
The-PC-Guy
The-PC-Guy, Computer Manager

before I could tell you whats possible I would need to see an example file of how the data is arranged.

I can arrange things differently than what I have if need be, but I am looking at the "Best of" results for doing the final calculation and with 250 athletes it is a lot of data.

are you looking for the highest 3 people total or per team name, and how do you want results displayed.

Also if gender is a criteria that should be in its own column

The highest 3 people per team, but must include at least one athlete from each gender. Then I want the top three teams.

so first each team would need to have a total, right? so you are looking for the top 3 teams that would be the top 3 teams with the highest total?

except you want the lowest total - so fastest time. And each team's totals need to include only top 3 fastest times per team with at least one of each gender.

that would mean you are esentially looking for the top 9 people.

top 3 teams and top 3 people from each of those teams.

except you could have one really fast athlete who's time, when combined with the two slowest athletes, is still faster than the other combined times.

which is why I think each team would need to be totaled and we would use that time

Is there a way to total each team then to also automatically calculate the top 3, not included the bottom two slowest times and include both genders?

i am thinking that this is too complicated for a formula though. I think you will need some kind of macro, which I could program.

Which version of excel do you have.

I have version 14.6.1

doesn't help. What years is that please.

and is it mac or windows

Sorry - for a Mac and 2011

that version should support it, but I cant guarantee complete comparability.

This is actually a very complicated problem, I think it can be done with the macro. Essentially you would enter all the information then click and button, and it would create columns, and label first 2nd 3rd 4th 5th person, all the way to 9th, top 3 teams 3 people per team.

I can't do this for less than $120.

Fair enough - I can spend the time manually sorting out the results on race day. I will ask our TD whether we would be doing this often enough to justify spending the money to have it built.Thank you,

so for now you want to hold off.

hold off for now. I will connect with my TD and see what they want to do. We may change the way we calculate the results for the event to make it easier as well for us on race day. Thank you!

alright when you are ready to continue let me know