Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Excel 2013 64-bit crashing all over our organization.

Customer Question
According to event viewer, the...
Excel 2013 64-bit crashing all over our organization. According to event viewer, the faulting module is VBE7.dll. We think that the workbook's vbaproject.bin folder is being corrupted on save just prior to when the file(s) are opened and Excel crashes. There is an App_WorkbookBeforeClose event in play when the workbook is closed.
Solution is to re-compile the VBA code before the workbook crashes. Not a good fix in our environment.
Have you guys seen this issue and do you have any insights/remediations?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
2/24/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: caraleneK, Office Engineer replied 2 years ago
caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. Yes I have see this before can you test this

and see if it help please

In the VBE Editor in Excel, click on Tools > Options > General tab and click to uncheck “Compile on Demand”.

Waiting your feedback

I changed the setting - no visible impact. I unchecked Background Compile too.

Thanks for this feedback

Ok lets changes the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\7.0\Common
Type: DWORD
Name: CompileOnDemand
Value: 0

Waiting your feedback when done reboot before you test it please

I opened one of the bad workbooks and it crashed Excel. I am working remote today and I cannot reboot my desktop remotely (I will need to get the help desk involved). If I change this registry key, I am concerned that our network policy will simply restore the current setting (instantly or this weekend). I suspect that the problem inside vbaproject.bin is corrupted during a prior save operation. What impact will this registry key make? What are the other valid values this key can contain?
The strangest issue of all (in my opinion) is the fact that we have been converting 100 workstations per week since mid November and this issue only emerged during the first week of February and appears at random.

Yes you will have problem to do this remotely. Lets install this security update and see if it fix your problem

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039734

Waiting your feedback

I will have the help desk update the registry key and reboot one of my machines. I will ask the windows engineer to verify that https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039734 is installed on my machines. Perhaps you and I can re-connect tomorrow morning at a mutually agreed upon time?

Thanks yes we can what time ???

9 AM? EST

Here's a work-around I use if you need to work on a file in the meantime

1) Always have Macros disabled with notification. If you don't then Excel will crash on opening the file because it will encounter the error directly.

2) With macros disabled the file should open and ask you to enable macros. If you click on "Enable Content" Excel will crash. Instead go to the "developer" tab then click on "Visual Basic" on the ribbon. On the left "Project Navigator" window scroll down until you see "Modules". Right Click on "Modules" and select "Insert" -> "Module". This will insert a blank module. I think this resets the VB as uncompelled.

3) Save the workbook and re-open. You can then click on "Enable Macros" and Excel will not crash.

4) Before you save a file that tends to crash, insert a blank module. You can always delete them later.

Okay just send me a messes here if you online and I will log on

Sorry can we make it around 11AM EST time

Hello Again, Please let me know when you online.

Hello please note I waiting for you to fix this problem for you

If this solution worked for you then please don't forget to rate my answer so I am paid for my time

Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. If you still need help, ASK FOR MORE HELP by replying to me.

Hello hope you well, Please let me know if you need more help on this problem or have the solution fix you problem . Waiting for your feedback

Regards

CaraleneK