caraleneK
caraleneK, Office Engineer
Experience:  Office assisters to you
75835320

Excel 2013 64-bit crashing all over our organization.

Customer Question

Excel 2013 64-bit crashing all over our organization. According to event viewer, the faulting module is VBE7.dll. We think that the workbook's vbaproject.bin folder is being corrupted on save just prior to when the file(s) are opened and Excel crashes. There is an App_WorkbookBeforeClose event in play when the workbook is closed.
Solution is to re-compile the VBA code before the workbook crashes. Not a good fix in our environment.
Have you guys seen this issue and do you have any insights/remediations?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be providing an answer to your question today

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. Yes I have see this before can you test this

and see if it help please

In the VBE Editor in Excel, click on Tools > Options > General tab and click to uncheck “Compile on Demand”.

Waiting your feedback

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the setting - no visible impact. I unchecked Background Compile too.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this feedback

Ok lets changes the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VBA\7.0\Common
Type: DWORD
Name: CompileOnDemand
Value: 0

Waiting your feedback when done reboot before you test it please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened one of the bad workbooks and it crashed Excel. I am working remote today and I cannot reboot my desktop remotely (I will need to get the help desk involved). If I change this registry key, I am concerned that our network policy will simply restore the current setting (instantly or this weekend). I suspect that the problem inside vbaproject.bin is corrupted during a prior save operation. What impact will this registry key make? What are the other valid values this key can contain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The strangest issue of all (in my opinion) is the fact that we have been converting 100 workstations per week since mid November and this issue only emerged during the first week of February and appears at random.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Yes you will have problem to do this remotely. Lets install this security update and see if it fix your problem

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039734

Waiting your feedback

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have the help desk update the registry key and reboot one of my machines. I will ask the windows engineer to verify that https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3039734 is installed on my machines. Perhaps you and I can re-connect tomorrow morning at a mutually agreed upon time?
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Thanks yes we can what time ???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 AM? EST
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Here's a work-around I use if you need to work on a file in the meantime

1) Always have Macros disabled with notification. If you don't then Excel will crash on opening the file because it will encounter the error directly.

2) With macros disabled the file should open and ask you to enable macros. If you click on "Enable Content" Excel will crash. Instead go to the "developer" tab then click on "Visual Basic" on the ribbon. On the left "Project Navigator" window scroll down until you see "Modules". Right Click on "Modules" and select "Insert" -> "Module". This will insert a blank module. I think this resets the VB as uncompelled.

3) Save the workbook and re-open. You can then click on "Enable Macros" and Excel will not crash.

4) Before you save a file that tends to crash, insert a blank module. You can always delete them later.

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Okay just send me a messes here if you online and I will log on

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Sorry can we make it around 11AM EST time

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello Again, Please let me know when you online.

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello please note I waiting for you to fix this problem for you

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

If this solution worked for you then please don't forget to rate my answer so I am paid for my time

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. If you still need help, ASK FOR MORE HELP by replying to me.

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 year ago.

Hello hope you well, Please let me know if you need more help on this problem or have the solution fix you problem . Waiting for your feedback

Regards

CaraleneK