flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant
Experience:  degree in comp sci. 20+ years install work with networks for small and large companies
23372949

I have a sheet of data and I am using the Data, Subtotal

Customer Question

I have a sheet of data and I am using the Data, Subtotal function to group and SUM the data. It groups and subtotals properly for the first 2 groups but at the third group it sorts one item above the group it should be under. This happens for the entire sheet. What is happening here. Is this a glitch in Excel? I only want to sort and subtotal to 4 or maybe 5 groups but this occurs once I go past 2 subtotal groupings. Please Please help. Please. It is driving me crazy. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please send me a sample Excel file with some of your dummy data so that I can see the problem and fix it for you?

You can attach the sample file in your reply using the paper clip icon in the reply box.
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can see in Sample Data that A1010 Founda.......... under column E is above A10-FOUNDATIONS in column D. This is the same for A2005-Elevator,...... in column E which is above A20-SUBGRADE. as so on ans so on......Sample Data2 is even more a mess when trying to subtotal additional groupings. How do I fix this?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi John,

Thank you for writing back with that information and sample files. Please give me a moment to check the files and your required fix.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

How did you build this table? Did you use a macro? From the sample file you gave me, I want to see the raw data so that I can check what you are trying to accomplish.

Expert:  flopcat98 replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this ?