Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

Thanks My HP laptop, Windows 8.1 was infected with

Customer Question
Hi and thanks My HP laptop...
Hi and thanks
My HP laptop, Windows 8.1 was infected with “CryptoLocker” virus, corrupting the database and related files. I sough assistance from the Microsoft and they cleaned the most of it; however, encrypted files remain.
I was advised to “Reset” the PC.
At Reset, “Remove everything and reinstall Windows’, after “Get started” it asks to
“Insert Media”, and
“Some files are missing. Your Windows installation or recovery media will provide those files”.
However, i was not provided any such media when i purchased the laptop in may 2015.
How can I sor this out, or is there another way?
Regards
WB
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
2/11/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
michelleclive
michelleclive, Computer Support Specialist

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

did the computer ran the pc reset completely?

No,
after "Get started' button it instructed to "Insert media" and no other option is provided.

if you do not run pc reset on which windows screen you are in is it windows 10 or 8.1.

My HP laptop, Windows 8.1"...

Please remember when we dealing with your issue. It is quite possible and may take more than one step or answer multiple times to solve a problem. In case the answer provided does not help or work dont be dissatisfied, use the Reply to expert or click on the “Continue Conversation” button and I will be happy to continue to help.
Rating is only required when the problem is fixed or you are 100% Satisfied with the answer provided.

let me know the windows 8.1 is 32 bit or 64bit. I will give you steps further.

Is this all?

64bit

Windows 10 Download Tool 64-bit

How to Install Windows 10 Without Windows Update?

After installing the Windows 10 Media Creation tool, find the file in your PC and click on it to start the installation. After few seconds, you’ll see a new window as shown below. It asks “what do you want to do.” Out of the two given options, you need to select “upgrade this PC now” option and hit “Next.”

Note that during the installation, your PC will restart few times. It’s usual, this isn’t anything to worry about.

The other option to “create installation media for another PC” is for creating bootable USB stick or DVD for performing a fresh install on your already upgraded PC.

Download the Windows 10 ISO tool from Microsoft below:

Download Tool Now (64-bit version)

After choosing the first option, you’ll be greeted with a new window that will show that your Windows 10 copy is being downloaded. After waiting for few minutes, your download will start and you will notice the progress indicator increasing slowly. You can even minimize this app window and do some background work.

After the download process is completed, you will see the following windows that will show you the message that your Windows 10 installation media is being created. Again, you can minimize this windows to continue your background work. While performing the Windows 10 upgrade, make sure that your PC connected to the power supply.

As Microsoft tool completes the Windows 10 installation media creation, you’ll see a new tiny window in your PC showing that setup is preparing your PC for Windows 10 installation. This process will take a while.

This will be followed by the “Getting updates” step where your PC will download the updates needed to continue the setup.

Now Windows 10 setup will confirm that your PC has enough space for installation. This will just take a moment. If the setup detects that your PC doesn’t have enough space, the setup aborts.

After completing the memory check process, all the pre-requisites and checks are completed. Now your Windows 10 setup is ready to proceed. You’ll be shown a message that this Windows 10 upgrade will keep your files and apps, and you can also select what to leave behind and what to take forward with you.

Click on “Install” to proceed with the Windows 10 upgrade and your PC will restart.

After rebooting, the setup resumes and the installation process moves ahead.

You PC reboots again and you see the “Upgrading Windows” message. This consists of three steps: Copying files, Installing features and drivers, and Configuring Settings.

This is the final step of Windows 10 upgrade and your PC will restart several times during it.

What more? Well, everything is done.

Your PC is upgraded to Windows 10. Just log in to the operating system and you are taken to the next window for configuring settings.

You are shown a window that introduces you the new apps of Windows 10. These include Photos, Microsoft Edge, Music, and Movies and TV. Just click “Next” and your Windows 10 PC is ready to use.

This is what my spare PC looked after upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. All the settings, files, and apps that were already installed Windows 10. Even the apps that were pinned in the taskbar, they were imported as it is. By mistake, I forgot to copy some stuff written in sticky notes- they were imported too.

You can go to “Update and Security” option in “Settings” to see that your genuine Windows 7 or 8 is upgraded to Windows 10, and your copy is activated.

Thanks,
I see on the PC where I can go for upgrade to Windows 10.
However, is this going to get rid of the virus and encryptions...?

are you able to manually delete the infected encrypted files

NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast