Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

One of our employers has an excel document that he says is…

Customer Question
One of our employers has...
One of our employers has an excel document that he says is working fine in excel 2010 but in excel 2016 is really slow and crashes all the time. I want to get to understand what the issue is here.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
the document he sent me was actually a .xlsm but i couldn't attach it.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/3/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. If the file is XLSM, then it contains macro. I suggest that you upload the file here in the link below, then give me the short download link.

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=106933

I got the sample file and Excel froze due to a lot of missing files being referenced in the formulas. I believe this is not an issue from your part since those files being referenced in the formulas are accessible by your Excel? The files are in a Z drive. Please confirm

the file does reference other files but he said that he turned off referencing when he sent it to me.

No, the referencing are still there so I believe that is the reason why Excel froze.

Do you want me to turn off the referencing of the external files?

please do.

Here is the file with references of external files removed:

http://filesxpress.com/d-397b1391

ok i am going to send him that file to check, maybe it would be better if you spoke with him directly, is that possible?

Unfortunately, that is not possible since I do not provide phone support. Just send him the file and see if it still works from his end with references removed.

Just let me know whatever is his comments on the revised file so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

ok it might take a couple of hours so i may get back to you tomorrow, is that ok?

Yes, no problem. Please take your time and we can resume with this tomorrow then. Just let me know when you are back and available so that we can resume.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Jess

great thanks :) dan

You're welcome Dan. Till tomorrow then.

hi,he says that when he adds a row to the prd list & specs tab in the document, office 365 crashes for 4 minutes. it doesn't do that on my computer.
he is using windows 10

Hi Dan,

Thank you for writing back and I am sorry for the late reply. I am from a different time zone and it is 7:06AM now by the time of this writing.

I believe the problem is with his Excel 2016. Please ask him to TURN OFF or DISABLE all plugins first, then try to open the said file. To disable the plugins, click on File => Excel Options. Click on Addins and then click on GO button. Uncheck all items there to disable.

Please keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

thanks, ***** ***** with the time zone. i will let you know when he responds. dan

Ok please take your time

thanks for all your help,we are going to try upgrading his machine and see what happens, can i come back to you when we have done it in a week or two or do i need to close our session?

Hi Dan,

Thank you for writing back. Yes, please take your time. You can surely come back to me here in this chat thread any time should you need further assistance and after the planned upgrade of your machine.

I hope I was able help.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further. You can surely get back to me here any time even after your rating.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist