Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

If I move all the .pst files in the archives of outlook 2010…

Customer Question
If I move all the...
If I move all the .pst files in the archives of outlook 2010 to a folder on the desktop, are they completely removed from the outlook, and thus reduce the amount emails outlook sees ? Then if want to view, just open the folder in dsktop and click open with outlook?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/22/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .

Welcome to justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The best way to do what your trying to do is to use the file, account settings, click the data file tab.

And then remove or add the pst files from there.. This will prevent corruption of the pst /archive files..

You can store them on your desktop, or on a flash drive, wherever you want.. But when removing them or adding them back.. ( such as to view at a later point ) Its better to add them and view them that way~

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Hi Dustin, my outlook 2010 is getting slower all the time and I have not tried to move the large pst files out of outlook after I read an article saying you had better not do that as you may not be able to recover. however, i'm not very computer savvy and was afraid to do anything. today, for the first time all the emails received that have pix attached are marked with red x. is this a problem with outlook 2010 or my computer software?

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Sometimes, it easier to have someone show you on screen how to fix the issues you mentioned. If you would like, we can start a secure remote session so I can work on this issue directly, on screen.

Would you like to try that method of support? Or would you prefer to have me guide you via written support only?

Written support only for now. For some reason the red x pix problem has solved itself. however I still have a slow outlook 2010, and probably need to move a bunch of email out of the client and park them somewhere that is accessible at a later date. I have room on my external backup HD to do that, or would it be better to move the excess to just another folder in the internal HD?

Before we consider moving anything.

We should probably run the inbox repair tool, which Ill go over in the next message.

For now, I need to know how many email accounts you have that you access through outlook?

And do you know if those mail accounts are pop accounts, or imap?

I ran the inbox repair tool several days ago and there wasn't anything that seemed to need fixing. all identities are using pop3. 3 use earthlink and 4 use inmotion hosting. Main identity,***@******.*** alone shows 84000 unread emails, so total amount when I look at .pst files looks to be about 50g. Supposedly outlook 2010 has limit of 20-30 gig, so don't know if the slow down is caused by this. Strange thing is, sometimes clik on new msg instantly opens it, but next time get working symbol for 1 min before it will open the next msg, same thing when clik "delete", way to long until done. not everytime, just intermittantly. seems like it's going through some type of routine during which time the working symbol won't allow any other function, then after outlook "blinks", indicating it's done with whatever it was updating, then clicking returns being fast again, until the next time this occurs.

Thats a very large pst file size.. Here is what I suggest.

take all emails older then 12 months ( except for anything you absolutely need on a daily basis)

And move it into its own folder. Then export that folder into its very own pst file. You can save this exported file on an external hard drive. Once exported and saved.

Delete the 40 gigabytes worth of messages you moved to the folder.

Once deleted, youll want to compact the data file.. this will free up space in it by actually removing the deleted items from your pst.

Ideally, you want to cut your operating pst down to 10 gigs or less.

This link contains a great tutorial for outlook 2010 you can follow.. As this is exactly what we are trying to do.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Reduce-the-size-of-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-E4C6A4F1-D39C-47DC-A4FA-ABE96DC8C7EF

Dustin S.

Hi. This seems to only compact the files and not says how to move files out of outlook to some other place to reduce size of what outlook has to deal with. What's the way to export like 30g?

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. By the time you responded I was asleep.

Ive just started my shift today. The link I mentioned, was to be carried out after you moved all emails older then 2015 into a seperate folder. exported that folder as a pst file. Then deleted that folder from outlook.

Then, youd need to compact and follow that link to actually clear the space from your main pst.

when trying to use ODIR to remove duplicates from outlook 2010- get this error msg
"The attempted operation failed. an object could not be found. 271 procedure: frmRemDuplicates.cmdRemDups_click"

ODIR is installed and was working before.

Only get this error msg in my largest identity, not any of the others where ODIR works fine.

Have you tried compacting the data file on your largest identity before using ODIR?

No. what does "redundant messages" mean in the "clean up folder" in outlook 2010?