Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

How do link a field in one table to the data in another? I…

Customer Question
How do link a field...
How do link a field in one table to the data in another? I may have to set up the query different.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/19/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 2 years ago
Richard, Software Specialist

Hi there and welcome

Do you mean to add multiple tables into one query in Access?

No. ? Let me see how to explain.I am working on nominations forms. nominations are complete. I have a unique ID for each nominee with 4-6 questions answered about them depending on the award (16 different ones) that they were nominated for. Now, I am trying to match the unique nominee with the question and the answer so I an make a report that the selection committee will use to choose the winner.In my nomination table, I have the unique nominee with the submission answers. In another table, I have the questions for each award. I cannot seem to figure out how to do a second query that pulls them together so I can create a report.

ok, and how is your Tables structured?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

I will need to pass right now for the remote access. I'm paying for this and will not be reimbursed through my company. Let's keep talking, though I know the value of the remote support. Can I add some screen shots?

yes you can, attach them to the question please

Okay. grabbing the screen shots now.

thanks

ok... but I need a lot more information that that sorry.

To start with, then Tablet Structure.

working on it.

thanks

what else do you need/want to see?

ok, sorry but without the remote desktop, its just not going to be possible to solve it this way. IT requires too much information and sending it via screenshots will not help

I will have to opt out, and perhaps another expert can approach this

You do not need to do anything, you will be notified when an expert takes over.

Thanks

Sorry and thanks for your help. I know this is tough without remoting in. THanks for trying.
Microsoft Office Technician: flopcat98, Consultant replied 2 years ago
flopcat98
flopcat98, Consultant

this page might be helpful

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Guide-to-table-relationships-8a027791-b8a3-4a32-aa99-e06c4e272c45

if you want to pay a little bit more you might send me a copy of your access database and i can link it and send it back

there is no need to send the actual data just a copy of the tables with a few fake records will do.