Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I have office xp. My powerpoint stopped working. Any time I

Customer Question

I have office xp. My powerpoint stopped working. Any time I try to play a video in a presentation or insert a video it crashes. There has to be a file or something missing thats caused this, I've tried repair, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and I downloaded the 2007 version of reader and that crashes too.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you today,

I'm sorry about the issue, Please Open Power Point, Click on file, Option, then language, scroll down and select US keyboard, then click add.

If the problem persists Open Control Panel, find the section “Clock, Language and Region” Click “Change Keyboards or other input methods” Press the button “Change Keyboards” Press the button “Add” Scroll down to “English (United States)” and expand.

Check box “US”
Press OK.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no Option button under file and in control panel I have nothing that says "Clock, Language and Region”. I use Windows XP and Office XP
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Please Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel. On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details. Under Installed services, click Add.

let me know if you need further help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Language and key board already say english. What would that have to do with video not playing in powerpoint?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

It is related to the Bootcamp, sometimes it treats the keyboard. Please download revo uninstaller from the link below :

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Run the program and uninstall Office , restart your computer and reinstall Office again

Hope it work, Let me know the results

Thank you

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Has everything worked out please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uninstalled, working on reinstalling. I'll let you know when I finish.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Ok take your time,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same. If I try to play a presentation with a video it crashes and if I try to insert a video it crashes.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Do you face this issue with a particular slide or all the slides in PowerPoint?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All slides
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I open old presentations I made on this computer and cannot play anything with a video in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Regular slides will play
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not switching to a call be cause I don't want to pay 20 for not getting it fixed. Sorry.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Press same time the two keys Windows and R on your keyboard to get the Run box, then type

sfc /scannow and click OK, and wait for it to finish, then restart the computer and check. If needed, please download and install the CCleaner software at the website: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner
click on "Download Latest Version" on the right then open it and run both the Cleaner program then restart the computer and check.

Please reply if there is still any issue, so I can help further

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its asking me to insert my original xp professional installation disk. I don't have it what should I do?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 1 year ago.

Can you try the second solution (running ccleaner) and check

If the problem persists, add a new user as administrator to the computer

1. Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

2. On the Users tab, click Add.

3.Follow the instructions on the screen to add a new user

4.Install Office and try to open powerpoint.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ran ccleaner restarted machine. Still not working thanks for your help but I'm done.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

If you would prefer, I can connect to your computer and repair the problem in person. if I am unsuccessful, you will be entitled to a full refund.

Would you like to try that? Thank you for your patience and response.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not comfortable with that sorry.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood.

Let me ask this. How long ago did this issue begin to occur with powerpoint.

Today, yesterday, last week, last month, 6 months ago?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been a while i just started using my wife's laptop. Wanted to fix it today. Thought you would have an easy fix, but I guess not. Thanks for trying to help but I'm done. Thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

I cant make up for the time you spent working with the previous tech. And he made a lot of valid suggestions.

I would say there is one easy step which may help.

Go to your control panel, user accounts. Create a brand new admin profle.

Then, install office on the new admin profile.

Then, test powerpoint. That very well may work~ Either way, good luck. And if you change your mind about allowing a screen sharing connection, I have a 95% fix rate in remote.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still did not work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood. Unless you are ready o consider the screen sharing connection again, I cant guarantee whether I could help you fix this or not.

Thank you for your patience and if you decide you want to continue working on this issue, let me know.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem was not fixed. I don't think my credit card you ve getting charged for the other 31 dollars. I don't think because I won't let you log in remotely means my issue is solved and I should pay. Please remove rhe charge or I will dispute it. Thank you.