How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pete Your Own Question
Pete, Computer Expert
Category: Microsoft Office
Satisfied Customers: 17634
Experience:  MS Office expert
Type Your Microsoft Office Question Here...
Pete is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm ***** *****. I have just accidentally saved over a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I'm ***** *****. I have just accidentally saved over a document and lost the contents of the document. I want to know if I can recover an earlier saved version of the file. I am on a mac using word.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What further detail do you need? I saved over the word document with an essentially blank document. I want to know if I can recover an earlier version of the document that I saved.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Microsoft Office Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long will the wait be?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

If you have autosave turned on, then you may be able to recover a previous version of the document

To open the AutoRecovery files, follow these steps:

  1. Close Word for Mac.
  2. On the Go menu, click Home.
  3. Open the Documents folder, and then open the Microsoft User Data folder.
  4. Locate all the files that start with the words "AutoRecovery save of."
  5. For each file that matches this criteria, rename the file.

If that does not work, then your only other option is to try using recovery software, e.g.

Please reply back and let me know how you get on...


Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service; you can still ask additional followup questions at no additional charge :)


Related Microsoft Office Questions