Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I'm ***** *****. I have just accidentally saved over a

Customer Question
Hi. I'm ***** *****...

Hi. I'm ***** *****. I have just accidentally saved over a document and lost the contents of the document. I want to know if I can recover an earlier saved version of the file. I am on a mac using word.

Technician's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What further detail do you need? I saved over the word document with an essentially blank document. I want to know if I can recover an earlier version of the document that I saved.

Technician's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Microsoft Office Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

How long will the wait be?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/17/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: Pete, Computer Expert replied 2 years ago
Pete, Computer Expert

Hi there,

If you have autosave turned on, then you may be able to recover a previous version of the document

To open the AutoRecovery files, follow these steps:

1. Close Word for Mac.
  2. On the Go menu, click Home.
  3. Open the Documents folder, and then open the Microsoft User Data folder.
  4. Locate all the files that start with the words "AutoRecovery save of."
  5. For each file that matches this criteria, rename the file.

If that does not work, then your only other option is to try using recovery software, e.g.

http://www.easeus.com/mac/

Please reply back and let me know how you get on...

Pete.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service; you can still ask additional followup questions at no additional charge :)

Pete.