Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

Just received a virus alert that locked up my computer and

Customer Question

just received a virus alert that locked up my computer and was given an 877 to call
to fix my problem. they wanted $149.99 to fix. They said they represented Microsoft.
Axisgeeks . Is this legit.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That popup message is fake; it is a scam. Please always ignore any popup message or email message or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting. Are you able to close that popup message window, and use the computer again? And/or are you able to shut down / restart the computer and check?

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message completely locked my computer down. I could not shut down. I was instructed to call microsoft support @ the 877 #. Like an idiot< I did just that. They took control of my computer. I restarted my comp and it restarted. I wonder if I am now in trouble! Thanks

Sorry about that. In the future, you can always press and hold the power on/off button on your computer for about 10 seconds, then it would power off, then turn it back on and check.

You should call your credit card / bank company to cancel that big charge.

Did they install any program on your computer?

Does your computer have windows xp, vista, or 7 or 8 or 10?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7. I did not give them my credit card #***** afraid the might be able to retrieve it from my comp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do not know if they installed anything

1. Please try this first: click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore, then the System Restore window should open. Then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check.

2. You should change your important account passwords, such as email password, facebook password, online banking password, etc., if you use.

This issue usually occurs when you accidentally click on a bad website link or ad or attachment.

Note: In the future, if your computer is frozen (i.e., a (fake) popup message is locking up your computer), then press and hold the Power on / off button on the computer for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on, and then it usually should work fine.

Reminder: Never follow any instruction from an unexpected notice. Please always ignore any popup message or email message or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

If you still need help with this or with anything else, please type at the box below, then click on the Reply button below in order to continue. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much,