Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Since Office 2000, Ive been using, repairing and teaching the basics of MS Office to anyone with a need to learn. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller .
19897260

I own a small office building and need to know when the

Customer Question

I own a small office building and need to know when the power goes out for any reason, so I can go to the building and reset the furnace manually before the pipes freeze.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

While there are many expensive and professional business level packages you can go with, for remote power failure monitoring.

Im gonna to list a cheaper option first. Here is the app

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.sjbcomputerconsultants.powercut.pro&hl=en

Then, what you need is a cheap, android phone. One that you can leave plugged into the wall at the location you want to monitor. And that phone must have at least text messaging service enabled.

What it does, is allow that phone to monitor the power at the location.. So if power drops the phone will use the cell phone network to send you a text message and let you know the power is out. This is a very cheap and easy to implement option.

Some of the more professional options /permanent options are shown on this page.

http://www.diycontrols.com/c-191-call-out-devices.aspx

Thankfully with the advent of cell phones and smart phones, the technology for remote monitoring has progressed enough that it no longer has to be as expensive as it once was.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.