Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I develop software using Visual Studio 2005. (Yes, I know

Customer Question
it's very old!). But when...
I develop software using Visual Studio 2005. (Yes, I know it's very old!). But when I upgraded to Windows 10 I found my projects would not compile. I had to back out and revert to Windows 8. My question is twofold: 1) How can I stop Microsoft bugging me with requests to upgrade to Windows 10? OR 2) What can be done so that Visual Studio 2005 WILL compile in the Windows 10 environment? This should be easy for you! Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
1/9/2016
Microsoft Office Technician: yourteqrepair, Computer Systems Analyst replied 1 year ago
yourteqrepair
yourteqrepair, Computer Systems Analyst

Unfortunately there is no way to stop that from bugging to upgrade. Are you getting errors when compiling? if so what errors?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My development environment is something I don't really want to mess with just to recreate the errors. Somebody must know what service pack, etc, I would need to make VS2005 integrate with Windows 10. And somebody should know how to inhibit the incessant upgrade reminders. My preference is to be able to upgrade AND have VS work. See if you can find the person who says "Oh, I know the answer to this..,"

It is hard to give you an exact answer without error codes of some sort. There are many things that could cause a program not to work in Windows 10. If you wont provide me some more information that will help me determine the issue. I'm going to have to opt of your question.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok - but this will take a time as I load Windows 10 and try the compile. Etc. I will get back to you. Do you actually have .net developers with whom you can consult?
Microsoft Office Technician: sliver68420, Computer Repairer replied 1 year ago
sliver68420
sliver68420, Computer Repairer

Hi my name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. You asked how you could either get vb05 to work with windows 10 or how could you stop the upgrade notifications. Like the other tech said...it is hard to trouble shoot without error codes. What I can do easily though is tell you how to stop the notifications to upgrade to windows 10. Microsoft delivered this notification through a program which is installed through Windows update.

1. Open Installed Updates by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then, under Programs and Features, clicking View installed updates.
  2. Click the KB3035583 update, and then click Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password ***** confirmation, type the password ***** provide confirmation.
  3. Reboot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the info on how to prevent prompts to upgrade to Windows 10. This will be my last resort.Right now I'm am installing Windows 10 so that I can get the error codes, etc, when compiling objects from VB 2005. I will write again when I have data for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi again. Back to the question about why Visual Studio 2005 will not compile the .msi under Windows 10.I have upgraded my Windows laptop to Windows 10 and created a new .net project so I don't mess up the live, production, model.I am uploading my testing documentation with the details. The main issue, as you will see, is that VS/Windows10 is expecting a certain folder and file that was never required previously. There may be settings or options that can be changed to circumvent this problem, but I do not know what they are. I need a Visual Studio expert, I guess.
sliver68420
sliver68420
sliver68420, Computer Repairer