Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I have a Visio file with an external data in it and would

Customer Question

I have a Visio file with an external data in it and would like to export all of the data to excel.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please what you mean with External Data Bill?

Is it data in another Visio file you do not have access to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you go to the view tab and select the external data window. I can see 5 tables in the window below. Tables, Dictionary, Relations, Indexes and module-tables. I don't have access to the external data using to populate these but would like to get the data into a excel/csv file so that I can review it and match to my other data sources for accuracy and completeness.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide me the file Bill so I can check it please.

Attach it to this question please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it is confidential

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, if you do not have access to the data, you cannot batch export it, but can you select the Text?

If so you would need to select and copy the data then paste it into Excel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does not work at the best I get the Visio drawing and that's it.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then it will not be possible, if the data is not selectable it mans it has not locally cached it.

The only way would be to have the actual external data

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The raw data must be in Visio because if I select a column heading and click on it the data is sorted by that column heading also I can modify what columns that are displayed..

It is table structure data from a MS SQL database that Visio used to create the ERD drawing..

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

All data that can be selected and copied to Excel is what you can see and select, which is why I gave the instructions to select the data and copy and paste it.

If your not able to even select and copy it then you will not be able to export it to excel, its the method to copy the data to excel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found the window to refresh the data and as I though since I am not connect to their database it can't connect.. Could it be that I am running to old a version of Visio 2007?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, its because it does not have access to the database, this is why it will not be able to connect to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Found this going to try it later this week.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13493327/how-to-export-visio-external-data-to-excel

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, it would help Bill if I could see the data, but as you see in that script they can copy the data from it but sometimes get bad data from it