Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

When trying to run a few reports. I get the error message:

Customer Question
When trying to run a...
When trying to run a few reports. I get the error message: "Can't update. Database or object is read-only". How do I fix this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Microsoft Office
12/10/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: Cody, Senior Systems Administrator replied 1 year ago
Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator

What program are you using that reports this error?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are using Access 2007

I'm not familiar with Access, I'll let someone who has the expertise take on this question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, I will check in the morning.
Microsoft Office Technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 1 year ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! My name is*****

If you get that error message for only one Access file, please go to the location of the file, and right-click it and select Properties. Make sure the "Read-only" check-box is not checked. If it is, un-check it and click OK. Re-open the file and it should work now.

However, if the "Read-only" check-box wasn't checked, but you still see that error message, you can then copy that file to another location, for example to your desktop, and then run it from there.

Let me know the results.

Regards,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, this did not work. There are several files affected. I went to each one and viewed the property sheets and there is no "read-only" there.

OK. Have you tried copying them to your desktop, and then running them from there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
These are network files used by several people.

For testing purposes, please copy one of the Access files from the network location to a desktop and then run it from there. Let me know if it will open.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was able to fix it by going to the database tools to replication options and making the replication the design master and applying it to all of the files. Works fine now.

Great! I first thought it was a problem with the network permissions so that is why I suggested copying the files to desktop.

I am glad the problem has been solved!

In case you encounter any other issue, let me know.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist