Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I am trying to email a sheet of an Excel workbook. This

Customer Question
I am trying to email...
I am trying to email a sheet of an Excel workbook. This sheet has a header attached to it which is our company logo. When I use the "send to mail recipient" add-in, the sheet emails correctly but the heading is missing. If I put the company logo in the body of the sheet it emails correctly. If I put text in the heading instead of the logo, it doesn't show up either. Any ideas on why my header shows up on the sheet, but doesn't show up after it has been emailed?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
11/25/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Excel 2007?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Microsoft Office 2010

Thank you for writing back with that information. Are you sending the Excel file through email right inside MS Excel?

Or are you using the Windows Send To Email function or tool outside of Excel and then locate the excel file to be sent?

I am sending the Excel file through email right inside MS Excel.

Thank you for that information.

How do you send t then? By opening the file, then clicking on File => Save and Send => Send Using Email => Send as Attachment?

As I stated in my original question, I am sending the sheet as an email by using the "send to email recipient" button from the quick access toolbar.

Thank you for that clarification.

Now, when you click on that Send to Email Recipient, what email program opens? Is it Outlook 2010?

Thank you for writing back with that information. We need to check and troubleshoot first if the problem is with Excel or with Outlook.

Please do these steps:

1. Create your Excel file with your desired header
  2. Save it and close Excel
  3. Open it and check if the header is intact
  4. Close Excel again after confirming that the header is intact
  5. Open MS Outlook
  6. Compose a new email
  7. Attach the Excel file you just opened and saved and then sent it from there
  8. If you are sending it to your own email as a test, please fetch the emails in your Outlook and then save the attachment and open it

Is the header still broken? Or is it displayed correctly this time?

Please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

It is still not appearing...

Thank you for writing back with that confirmation. So you are saying that when you saved the file, and opened it again, the header is intact. But when you send the file directly using Outlook (Outside of Excel), the problem is still the same?

No, when I use the "save & send" function in Excel and the file is sent as an attachment it is perfect.

Thank you for writing back. Yes, that is the best and added feature for Office 2010 that I was trying to suggest since the classic Send To Mail Recipient was for compatibility purpose only.

So when you save and reopen the file, the header is still intact.

But when you send through Save and Send, it is perfect

And when you send using Send to Mail Recipient, the header is broken. Is this correct?

I am sending proposals to clients and it looks much more professional having the proposal as the body of the email rather than having the customer open an attachment.

Oh ok. So you are saying that this is happening when you are trying to send the email as BODY, and in either way, if they are sent as attachment, they are perfect?

That is correct...
Jess,
To reiterate, my question is this:
I am trying to send an Excel sheet via "send to mail recipient" which allows you to send an Excel sheet in the body of the email rather than as an attachment.
I have no problem sending the email, however, the only issue is that the Excel sheet displayed in the body of the email does not display the header (which in this case is our Company logo).
If I send the same sheet as an attachment, and then open the attachment, the complete sheet with header appears.
For my business needs, I need the sheet to appear in the body of my customer emails with our company logo as the header displayed along with the sheet content.
Does this make sense?
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 1 year ago

Hi Mike,

Thank you for writing back with that information. Unfortunately, this cannot be done or shall I say, you have no further control as to how the header or the non-text part of your Excel file (images for instance even if they are not in the header) are rendered by your email program.

The main reason for this is because, the way you layout your images in your Excel is NOT how exactly your email program will render them when you choose to put the Excel content in the BODY of your email. When you layout your content professionally in Excel, Excel will embed those formatting codes in the Excel file. But these formatting codes are NOT THE SAME formatting codes that Outlook 2010 or even other email programs like Mozilla Thunderbird, can understand. Thus, as a result, images that are recognized by the email program are placed on top or at the bottom of the email body. The formatting that Excel uses to layout your images and other objects are known to Excel only, thus they are messed up when displayed by Outlook 2010.

Also, this is NOT a recommended approach to send out your professional proposal to customers because of the following reason:

1. Layout in Excel will be messed up when embedded into the body of the email, just like exactly what you are experiencing now
  2. The rendering of your emails will be depended on HOW the customers open your email. If they open it in Outlook, then though the layout is messed up (like what you see), the customers can still see your email content. But with other methods of opening your email, like when using other email programs like Mozilla Thunderbird, AOL, Eudora Mail, or even web-browser based access like Gmail, the Excel part f the body can be non-recognizable since they will be converted to especial character or garbled text.

So I will still highly recommend sending your professional proposal as an attachment to ensure that they will need to open the attached file in Excel which will cause them to open beautifully.

I know that this is not the kind of answer that you want to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But it will be unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I will not give you the correct answer to this very important scenario of yours.

At this point, you have made a deposit. I will only get credit when you rate positive (3 to 5 stars/faces). It is up to you if you want to credit me for my time and expertise on this matter or not. Your deposit is refundable if you wish to not pay. But please do not rate me negatively (1 to 2 stars/faces) if you just want a refund. You can leave my service unrated. But at least I save you some time.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist