Richard, Software Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

I paid downloaded Microsoft Office on my Mac laptop a month

Customer Question

I paid for and downloaded Microsoft Office on my Mac laptop a month ago. I am trying to access simple Word files that I have saved but Word will not open and I can't open any files?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens when you try to open a Word document? What message do you receive?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens, no message it doesn't open, the Word icon in my toolbar 'bounces'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Can you open finder and click Go to Folder and enter in

~/library

Then press enter and then go to Preferences.

Then locate com.microsoft.Word.plist

Send it to trash, restart the Mac and tell me if they then open please.

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no com.microsoft.Word.plist at that location just com.microsoft.toupdate2.plist ???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, then in the preference folder is a Microsoft Folder, trash this folder please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have moved that one to trash
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, now restart the Mac and tell me if you still have the issue please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, took a long time to close down as had to Force Quit on all Office items.Thank you I can now open my Word documents
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No problem and your most welcome

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but exactly the same thing is happening again. 1 minute ago I could open the documents in question, I tried opening one to attach to an email and the same thing is happening again, this is rubbish!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok,

Delete the Microsoft Folder again please

Then power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.