Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Office Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Microsoft Certified MCSE, MCDBA, MCP, Microsoft Partner
23511658

I need to copy a value from one excel file and search in

Customer Question

I need to copy a value from one excel file and search for it in another. Then copy a value from that row and paste it back in the original file. Do you know how to do this?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Yes, the command that you need is VLOOKUP.

If you use VLOOKUP in the cell where you need to put the information you will refer to the range in the original sheet that you need to search and the cell that has the information that you need to match in that range. This command will return the content in the cell alongside the cell with the matching information. For example if you needed to look up a price for a part number – this would allow you to enter the part number then compare that part number 2 a column in the other spreadsheet and return the matching value in the next column.

Here is the documentation for the VLOOKUP function - it can seem a little confusing at first, so feel free to ask any questions you have.

http://bitli.es/mvEkb0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do I use this to look up an item number in a different file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
VLOOKUP(105,A2:C7,2,TRUE)This is the example given above.How do I reference another file as the searchable file?

It's going to have to be in the same file. It can be a different sheet in the same workbook but it has been the same file.

And the way you reference a different worksheet for example would be Sheet1!...

Actually, what I said is not 100% true you can do it between workbooks but it gets quite complicated. Here is a link to an example of doing it with 2 separate workbooks.

http://bitli.es/pl3z2e

It is easier to do it with sheets in the same workbook because you can just refer to the other sheet by highlighting the cells that you need on the other sheet.