Christopher Love
Christopher Love, Expert
Experience:  Owner at CJL & Associates
70121091

When I change a value in a cell to a different number, the

Customer Question

When I change a value in a cell to a different number, the summation that includes that cell does not change. This just started occurring, and it is happening in a number of different workbooks.
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Christopher Love replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is***** get the version of Office you are using. Also, are you using any VB Script or macros in these workbooks. Do you use templates to start a new workbook and if so, could the template have the issue? Let me know what you have. We should be able to solve this.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris, We are using Excel Proffessional Plus 10. The workbooks we were using had originally been under Excel 2003. I just saw a message when I went to reopen Excel that said "This copy of Microsoft Office is not activated. This copy of Microsoft Office is designed for corporate or institutional customers. Connect your computer to your corporate network to complete activation." We are a private high school. Could it be that for some reason, my desktop is not connected to a portion ofthe network, and simple formulas are not updating any change in data? We are not using any macros, every formula is a simple summation. My desktop is connected to the network, otherwise I would not have access to the internet.

A few thoughts. The Activation key should be available through whomever is the admin of the network. Either way, I don't think it is the cause of your problem. Since it is displaying this problem throughout multiple workbooks, either the formatting has changed for the cells in question (right click and select format) or possibly the Excel software has to be re-installed. Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Chris, I believe that excel is corrupted on my computer only. I went to another person's computer and opened the same workbook. On her machine, the values in the summation cell changed when I changed one of the numbers. Thanks for your help.

Yes, I would say that's pretty conclusive. Good luck and have a good one.