Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

How do I paginate an Excel file?

Customer Question
how do I paginate an Excel file?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
6/19/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: Richard, Software Specialist replied 3 years ago
Richard, Software Specialist
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To try to clarify, you mean you want to set where pages start and end when printing?
I simply want to paginate a large file, place the page number at the bottom of the page, and start the page number of my choice
Which version of Excel are you using?
I have used this version for about 4 years. I can probably go to programs to know which version but will have to leave this page. Is this necessary?
Maybe not, you need to add a footer
To do this in most versions.
Click Insert, Header / Footer and then in the footer you can select to put the page number.
Then on each page the page number is ***** out.
Let me know the results please
I will go to the file and try. I will be back in a few minutes.
Thank you
It prints the same number
Can you provide me the file and I can see what you did.
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
I111 - Final - 2015 - Chapter 3 - 4th Edition - formatted-spell checked DATA SHEET.xlsx
I do not see a file id number
I need that please as per the instructions I gave
I don't know what a file id number is ***** it is different than what I gave you
Its a 6 digit number
If you do the instructions I gave, it will give it to you after you upload it
I followed the directions and did not find anything that could be identified as a file number.
When you upload the file it Gives you the file ID
It works 100%, you need to follow the instructions carefully please.
I will repeat them again
- Upload the file to that website
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
420206
ok, I did not see any page numbers added.
I did this for you
Go to www.wikisend.com
Click download, enter ID 395486
And you will see the page numbers now
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen and then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
I have tried several times and no luck. There seems to be a step that was left out. One step was followed by a generated page of many id listing the chapter and a start page of 25. I installed a start number of 29 and 25 was never mentioned. The print-out started with 29 but simply repeated the same 29 on subsequent pages. Something isn't working. Can we start from scratch and be sure all steps are stated and in the order that works for me. I am certain that the problem is something I have messed up with. I am very appreciative of your help and your knowledge of Excel.
ok, tell me exactly what it is you want done please.
As I added page numbers, but you want something a little different?
As I add chapters to my book, I need to start subsequent chapters with the sequential beginning number. I will paginate each chapter separately. The numbers need to change page to page, not simply repeat the same number on every page.
ok, thats way beyond what excels designed for, it is not a book or chapters program
One way you can do this is to make a new sheet for each chapter and put them in this, then you can set your own page numbers as you set the page number for that sheet.
I understand that Excel is not a book or chapters program. But large Excel files print out many pages and can be sequentially paged. That is all I ask. I do make out a print-out sheet for each new chapter. It has a format for selecting the page number, but it always relates to the document with reference to page 1 when in fact the chapter begins at 29 in this case. What I need is a simple way to paginate a Excel document beginning with a page number of my choice and to continue to paginate the remaining document sequentially.
ok, for just that you can add a number to the page number
So to start at 27, you insert the footer like I said
Click Insert, Header / Footer and then in the footer click at the top page number and you see appear
Then add +26
Make sure to do a space after the 26
This would make the first page 27
I did it for you under File ID 139102
This is crazy. I need to start at page 29 and have been directed at first to start at 25. Where did that 25 come from? Now I am instructed to start at 26. I need to start at 29. How can I be clearer? Then I am instructed to add a + to 26 to make it a +26 and leave a space after the +26 to make it a 27. I guess 29 is not a possibility. And finally I am instructed to use File ID 139102. What happened to File ID 420206 and File ID 395486? Those numbers were given to be used in previous attempts to paginate this chapter. Please check with your supervisor to see if there is a solution to my simple request to paginate this chapter or if we are just wasting time for both of us. I don't blame you for the problem. You have worked hard and seriously tried to find a solution. We both have tried. I am game for one last try.
It was an example, if its page 29 then you just put in +28
The first ID was showing how to add page numbers.
The second showed how to set a custom page number.
ok, I will try one last time. I will report back in a few minutes.
ok thanks
It doesn't work. We do not have a satisfactory fix to the problem. I request a refund of the remainder of the $18 fee. I understand you will keep the booking deposit of $5. I am sorry it didn't work out. I will check my Visa account to be sure there is no charge for the balance of $13. If there is such a charge, I will begin a charge-back procedure. Your Tech tried his best and I appreciate his efforts. I have no negative evaluation for him. I have a complete print-out of our efforts today and will retain it until all details are finalized. I hope the rest of your day goes well for you.
It does work, your doing something wrong and not carrying out the instructions I repeated a number of times.
I even sent you a copy showing it working
Anyway, you get your refund here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund