Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office questions? Ask an IT Expert for support ASAP

I tried to save a worksheet in Excel 2013 and the worksheet…

Customer Question
I tried to save a...
I tried to save a worksheet in Excel 2013 and the worksheet did not save. It says (Not Responding) at the top left hand corner of the worksheet. I looked at other similarly named files and the information that I added to the worksheet today did not save. The worksheet still appears on my desktop, but is frozen and probably cannot be removed without a reboot. I'm hesitating because I'm concerned I will lose the data and it was a lot of work.
Any ideas about how I could retrieve the file? Will Excel try to recover it if I reboot?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
6/12/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: IT Miro, Computer Scientist replied 2 years ago
IT Miro, Computer Scientist

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Is the original worksheet still open (frozen) or you exited it already?
Its open
OK.
By default, Microsoft Office (Excel) automatically saves all open documents every 10 minutes using the built-in AutoRecovery feature. For that, it uses a different location than the original document location).
If Excel becomes unresponsive, such as in your case, any document might be restored to its last auto-save point. However, in order to trigger AutoRecovery feature, Excel needs to be forcefully exited. If you exit it normally by clicking on X and then confirming that you want to ext, Excel will delete the auto-save data and won't offer you to restore your document when you start it next time.
So, in order to make sure Excel is forcefully exited, here is what to do:
1. Start Task Manager by pressing Ctrl Shift and Esc keys at the same time. Another way of starting it would be to right-click on Taskbar (on empty space) and selecting Task Manager
2. When the Task Manager window opens, click on the Details tab
3. There locate an item (process) named EXCEL.EXE
4. Right-click it and select End task. Confirm by clicking on End process
5. In case there are more EXCEL.EXE processes, repeat the step to end them all
6. Once all Excel processes have been exited, start Excel. However, don't click on your Excel spreadsheet, but instead, click on the Microsoft Excel program icon that should be on your desktop or at the start screen. That way, Excel will detect that it had been forcefully exited and will look for all non-saved documents. It should then prompt you to restore your worksheet, so confirm you want to restore it. It will use the last restoration point so the newest changes (that happened right before Excel froze) might not be included.
Let me know how it went.
I went to bed before I received your message, but when I awoke this morning I checked out the worksheet and it was no longer not responsive. I saved it to my hard drive and to two internet sites (My Drive and Dropbox). I think I must have accomplished the forced exit from Excel by using the Task Manager to close out the application before I contacted you. Anyway the issue appears to be resolved. thanks
Hi again!
I am glad to see that the issue with has been resolved!
Saving your important files to an on-line storage such as My Drive and Dropbox is a very good idea. Hopefully, Excel won't cause any more problems.
If you require any other assistance, let me know.
Regards,
If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my help to you using the rating box located in the upper right corner of the page (box with stars).
Thanks,
IT Miro, Computer Scientist