Viet -MS Office Tech
Viet -MS Office Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer hardware and software support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac; Microsoft Office, etc.
30037186

If I export excel file to a cd and the excel file is weirdly

Customer Question

If I export excel file to a cd and the excel file is weirdly formatted because it is an old version and then someone opens it on their computer with an updated version of excel will the file magically be converted to a better reading format?
Category: Microsoft Office
Expert:  Viet -MS Office Tech replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, or mac computer?
What is your Excel version?
Do you mean you only have an old version of Excel, and not the new one, so you can compare?
If you can provide me an sample of a weird formatted Excel file, then I can check it on my newer Excel version.
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI I'm not at the computer that I would draw the files from can I ask revisit this tomorrow when I am there?
Do you have a windows or mac computer? Yes, of course, you can reply back to me via this web page tomorrow. You can get back to this web page tomorrow by clicking on the View Response link in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually i did it on this computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
or may be this one...
Thank you. Sorry, it took me some time to check on these files. I noticed that the first file you attached has the extension .txt
An excel file is supposed to have the extension .xls or .xlsx.
- I opened the attached file you sent by just opening it directly and it opened in the Notepad program and it looks like in the image below:

- I opened your attached file in the older Excel version 2003 and it looks like below after increasing the columns widths of the dates in order to avoid seeing ######...:

- I opened your attached file in the Excel version 2010 and it looks like below after increasing the columns widths of the dates in order to avoid seeing ######...:

- If you do not adjust the column widths of the dates, it will show incorrectly like in the image below:

The 2nd file you attached is in the correct Excel format. I opened in both Excel 2003, and 2010, they look the same.
It looks the same on both Excel versions. But you should adjust the widths of the columns first to show all content. Then it will show fine in all versions of Excel.
Where do you see weird formats?
When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,