Microsoft Office

Microsoft Office Questions? Ask a IT Expert for Support ASAP

Microsoft Office

I have previous MS Excel worksheets with .xlsx file format

Customer Question
that where saved on to...
I have previous MS Excel worksheets with .xlsx file format that where saved on to my Mac Excel 2011 app. I was able to open those Excel documents back in 2013 but now I get an error msg saying the file format is not valid. Any idea what happened and how to open older Excel files?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Microsoft Office
6/11/2015
Microsoft Office Technician: Jess M., Computer Support Specialist replied 2 years ago
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.
I am very sorry about your Excel file issues. So you are using Excel 2011 for Mac now and your old Excel files won't open?
Also, can you please send me a sample of your Excel file so that I can check if the files are indeed corrupt or it is your Excel 2011 for Mac that is having issues?
You can attach the Excel file here when you reply or you can upload the sample file to http://filesXpress.com and then give me the short download link so that I can get your sample file.
Please let me know so that I can help you further.
Best regards,
Jess
Jess, attached is a sample of one of the files I can no longer open. They were created on a laptop w/MS Excel app and transfered to a thumb drive to be used with Excel for Mac app. Some worksheets open but some do not.
Thank you for writing back with the sample file. Please give me a moment to check if the attached file is good or corrupted.
Thank you.
Best regards,
Jess
Unfortunately, the file you sent me is a corrupted and it cannot be repaired. It could have been corrupted if it was moved (copy and paste) from one storage media to another.
Can you please send me another sample file to see if the the problem here is corruption of your files?
Jess
here is another example of a file that I am unable to open.
Thank you for the second file. Unfortunately, the file is also corrupted.
This is an odd scenario so please try to do the following:
1. In your Mac, where Excel files won't open, open the Disk Utility and locate your Hard Disk Drive there.
2. If the HDD or disk is shown there with some name, please change the name.
3. If the HDD or disk there is shown with NO NAME, just a disk icon and a colon, then change the name of that disk.
4. To change the name of the drive, just RIGHT CLICK and select SHOW IN FINDER, then rename the disk as you would any file.
5. When the disk is named properly this time, please try to open those excel files that won't open before.
Keep me posted.
Jess
NewITZone
NewITZone
NewITZone, Computer Enthusiast